Headstone information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstone information

I have just ben sent an email from a rello that thinks a photo she has found in some of nan's old stuff is of a headstone from my great grandfather's family in scotland.

What stuns me is there is 9 differant people listed on the head stone, Is this a normal thing to do or more of a one off type thing?
    here is what is written on the headstone, she is going to get the photo scaned and send it to me aswell.

Erected By
    Thomas Catto and Barbra Baxter,
    In Auchreddie,
    In memory of their son James
    Who died the 2nd of July 1862, aged 30 years .
    Also their daughter Christian,
    Who died 18th April 1858, aged 28 years.
    And their grandchild
    Christian Jeffery
    Who died the 24th June 1862 aged 8 years.
    The above Barbra Baxter
    Died the 10th September 1885 aged 78 years
    The above Thomas Catto , Died
    26th January 1867 aged 78 years.
    Also his grandchild James Catto
    Died 15th January 1887
    Aged 2 years and three months
    Also his son Thomas
    Who died 5th July 1929 aged 83 years.
    And his grandson William
    Who died 7th May 1929 aged 45 years

No - it's quite normal/usual. I have a similar stone in Scotland within my family research with 8 names on it, and a couple in England with 8 & 9. It doesn't always mean that all those named are buried in that place though (but they may be) - sometimes people buried elsewhere can be mentioned as "in memory of" etc.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I agree, I have two or three gravestone memorials which mention people who are not actually buried there. In one case I practically wept with gratitude when I found FOUR stones which sorted out a particularly complex series of marriages - wives number one and three had identical names and for a long time I thought I was looking at two different men.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Rainy View Post
        I have just ben sent an email from a rello that thinks a photo she has found in some of nan's old stuff is of a headstone from my great grandfather's family in scotland.

What stuns me is there is 9 differant people listed on the head stone, Is this a normal thing to do or more of a one off type thing?
        here is what is written on the headstone, she is going to get the photo scaned and send it to me aswell.

Erected By
        Thomas Catto and Barbra Baxter,
        In Auchreddie,
        In memory of their son James
        Who died the 2nd of July 1862, aged 30 years .
        Also their daughter Christian,
        Who died 18th April 1858, aged 28 years.
        And their grandchild
        Christian Jeffery
        Who died the 24th June 1862 aged 8 years.
        The above Barbra Baxter
        Died the 10th September 1885 aged 78 years
        The above Thomas Catto , Died
        26th January 1867 aged 78 years.
        Also his grandchild James Catto
        Died 15th January 1887
        Aged 2 years and three months
        Also his son Thomas
        Who died 5th July 1929 aged 83 years.
        And his grandson William
        Who died 7th May 1929 aged 45 years

Hi Rainy, You may know this already, but if you go onto the Aberdeen and North East Family History Society website (just google), you will find MI for the area and your one is included - perhaps worth a look in case other relatives of yours in the area are listed.
        Your family are buried at New Deer Kirkyard, stone 487.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Oh wow Herky !!!!! no i didnt know that, will have to go check it out THANK YOU :D

Comment

Have you come across this one: http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Have you come across this one: http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php

Christine
              That is a great site, isn't it Christine, especially if the cemetery you are interested in is covered, as mine is.
              I have found many missing relatives there.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                That is a great site, isn't it Christine, especially if the cemetery you are interested in is covered, as mine is.
                I have found many missing relatives there.
                I found it when helping a family member with her part of the tree.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X