Dimwit question re: obtaining will.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimwit question re: obtaining will.

I have read up on the wiki but I just can't get my head round it all. I am having probs with concentration due to illness, so can anyone direct me specifically and in simple wording please.

On Ancestry I have found a Probate record for a will that was proved at Durham, date 1873, could someone advise me re where I apply to get a copy, please.

Thanks in advance
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Search online for a will, grant of representation or probate document for a death in or after 1858

this will help you

Comment

Thanks Viv

That was what I found on the wiki.

Perhaps I will have to wait until I feel better and can work through it logically.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

So I'm not alone in finding that page as clear as mud then:D
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I've had another read through, and I think what you should do is this:

In paragraph titled What if I cannot get to First Avenue House, you need to click on PA1S to download the form, (download on the page that comes up).

Fill in the details as appropriate, print it out and send with payment to address given. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure it becomes easier once you have done it - One day I will get round to it!!
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks so much Ozgirl. I will wait in case anyone advises otherwise. If I follow this route I will let you know how I get on. Thanks this whole concentration thing is a pain.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

I have not ordered a will by post yet. On my visits home home I go upto to London and do them in person.

A member of staff at the Holborn registry reccommended I tick yes to both a copy of the will , and to a copy of Grant of Probate or Letters of Admin. So I have always done that.

bcbrit
              George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                Thanks so much Ozgirl. I will wait in case anyone advises otherwise. If I follow this route I will let you know how I get on. Thanks this whole concentration thing is a pain.
                It's quite simple - write to your local probate office you can find their address here give the details you have found and send a cheque for £6. They will find the probate and will and send you a copy. I use Leicester Sub Registry and they are very helpful.

Margaret

Comment

The official place for postal applications is Leeds Probate Registry. I seem to remember that's the address given on the application form on the website.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you all.

Uncle John I think that is the route I will take, but when I am next in local archive I will ask them. I know they have some old Devon Wills there as I have done look-ups related to them, so whether they liaise with other offices I don't know.

Once again Many Thanks
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

You don't need to send off to Leeds - they are too slow! I always use Cardiff Probate Registry who are quick!
                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

if you go personally to a registry, do you still pay a fee?

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                          Thank you all.

Uncle John I think that is the route I will take, but when I am next in local archive I will ask them. I know they have some old Devon Wills there as I have done look-ups related to them, so whether they liaise with other offices I don't know.

Once again Many Thanks
                          Local archive will not be able to help with Wills after 1858 - Probate Registry and Offices are part of the court system and completely unconnected to them.
                          Last edited by AntonyM; 08-08-12, 21:56.
                          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                            if you go personally to a registry, do you still pay a fee?
                            Yes you do - just the same £6. At the main office (First Avenue House) in London they used to provide a 1hr service for the same price which was really useful, but sadly that stopped last year. They are currently putting together plans to make ordering available online.
                            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks, Antony!

Comment

one thing i don't get, if you don't order form leeds, then if you go into the registry at devon, can you get a durham will? or can you only get devon ones?

Comment

Local archive will not be able to help with Wills after 1858 - Probate Registry and Offices are part of the court system and completely unconnected to them.
                                  But, some (many? all?) local archives have the wills for their county. I have many post-1858 wills which I have obtained at Gloucestershire Archives. They have a "wills book" for each year, with all wills proved in Gloucester entered in full.

scuda
                                  Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

kyle: i have only looked for Devon wills in Devon, just from a post... or maybe I made it up, I wondered if the archives has reciprical agreements... mind you it would be more expensive, although I did think fleetingly of a 13and half hour trip each way to Durham, but probably easier and cheaper to request some specific searches.

Thank you scuda I thought I had looked at one post 1858, but then questioned whether I had been making it up.... see above.

Anyway once again thanks to everyone. It is the Leeds route for me. Thanks ozgirl for reading through and pointing me in the right direction when I could not make head nor tail of the document.
                                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                      one thing i don't get, if you don't order form leeds, then if you go into the registry at devon, can you get a durham will? or can you only get devon ones?
                                      When I applied to the Leicester sub registry they got me wills from Gloucester and London - they have access to the computer database and can simply download them. Roll on the time when we can order online and maybe download instantly

Margaret

Comment

I got 3 wills from Leeds took just under 2 weeks

Comment

Working...
                                        X