• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone find this marriage

Trying to find a marriage for a Andrew James BARNSLEY born 1831 Surrey

or him in 1861

He is single and a Porter in 1851 in Lambeth Surrey

and in 1871 a Labourer Widower in Shoreditch with two children http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...d&pid=12007031

Eliza born 1862 London

James born 1864 London

am assuming his wife died between 1864 and 1871 ?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-08-12, 00:13.

James Andrew Barnsley married Ellen Herring, 1861, St. Botolph Aldgate, London, England

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

And, strange - I'm not finding it on ancestry or freebmd....

freebmd has only 3 females, surname Barnsley, who died in Middlesex between 1st qtr 1864 and 1st qtr 1871. None named Ellen, one named Elizabeth. also Sarah and Jane
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-08-12, 04:15.

Comment

thanks so much Photo very odd as its not on FMP either ?

Comment

I think this is the type of entry that needs to be checked against the original records - it may be that the FamilySearch entry refers to Banns being read and the marriage never actually took place - it certainly doesn't appear to have been registered.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

thanks for that Anthony ,funny enough I just found an Eleanor Herring aged 19 marrying in the same district in 1858 ? going to see what happened to that one ?

Comment

Have you noticed that in 1881 he says that he is married Val? - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=14835778

I think you need to get one of the birth certs to see what mothers name is given as.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for that Chrissie I have been so busy looking for this Ellen not got that far UGH why are all mine awkward?
              His Daughter Eliza married my rellie and was trying to piece together her parents , cant even find baptisms for the two children either , think I'll leave this lot for now .

Comment

Isn't there a way to search ancestry for the St Botolph parish, page by page?

Comment

I always forget about family search, how will searching the Parish help me Photo? or am I being thick for a change

Comment

You can browse through the registers on Ancestry - but the years covered are not always complete and for this parish there seems to be a gap from 1855-1862
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk

Comment

I didn't know that there were some missing years Anthony, thanks again for that.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                        I think this is the type of entry that needs to be checked against the original records - it may be that the FamilySearch entry refers to Banns being read and the marriage never actually took place - it certainly doesn't appear to have been registered.
                        I was hoping that it would be possible to search for this record by actually paging thru St Botolph's parish register in Ancestry, but AntonyM seems to have disproved that theory!
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-08-12, 23:31.

Comment

I dont understand why he says married in 1881 ? cannot find another marriage for him either .

Comment

On Ancestry there are more than one set of St Botolph records - one is "St Botolph without Aldgate" which has the missing years, and another "St Botolph without Aldersgate" which does have records for 1861, but the marriage you want is not listed. The FamilySearch information must have come from somewhere though, so I still think maybe records of Banns might be the place to look.

Ancestry does have a possible baptism for him though:

James Andrew Barnsley, son of Andrew Gray Barnsley (a shoemaker) and Eliza - baptised at St Mary Newington, Southwark on 17 June 1832 with dob recorded as 16 April 1832.
                            Last edited by AntonyM; 09-08-12, 07:50.

Comment

On Ancestry there are more than one set of St Botolph records - one is "St Botolph without Aldgate" which has the missing years, and another "St Botolph without Aldersgate" which does have records for 1861, but the marriage you want is not listed. The FamilySearch information must have come from somewhere though, so I still think maybe records of Banns might be the place to look.

Ancestry does have a possible baptism for him though:

James Andrew Barnsley, son of Andrew Gray Barnsley (a shoemaker) and Eliza - baptised at St Mary Newington, Southwark on 17 June 1832 with dob recorded as 16 April 1832.
                              These two St Botolphs were separate parishes
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks Anthony I did have the bap, found his death yesterday too in Mile End.

Comment

Sorry Val, I assumed you had his death and should have mentioned it yesterday. That's why I didn't look for him 1891:o
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thats okay Chrissie wasn't looking at the time

Comment

Working backwards from the entry, the film # is 380131, displayed on this page
                                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

That entry in the catalog is listed on this page:

So, yes, it was a banns entry. Wonder if an impediment was found?
                                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-08-12, 04:15.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean ? why do you think they may have not married ? as I'm wondering if the Ellen Herring marriage I did find is her and she was already married?

Comment

Working...
                                        X