Hardy in South Shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardy in South Shields

I am having trouble trying to track down the parents of Sarah Hardy b. ca 1819 in South Shields. She married in 1840, and according to her marriage cert. her father is John Hardy, a carpenter. On the 1841 she is living with her husband (Thomas Farrow) in Temple Town http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...row.Westoe.2.4

There is a family, John Hardy , wife Elizabeth also living in Temple Town, and I am wondering if they are her parents http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/....22&sid=&gskw=

However, his occupation is Overman. I can find details of some of John and Elizabeths childrens baptisms on IGI, but there is not a Sarah (although there is a nice gap where she would fit in). Additionally they have a 5 year old called Sarah Jane - would they have used the same name?

Just to confuse things more, one of the witnesses on the wedding cert. is Elizabeth Hardy - could be mother or sister if that is the correct family.

Has anyone any advice on how to proceed?

(Apologies for lack of apostrophes - I have given up on them rather than putting them where they don't belong :D)
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Overman is an occupation that's usually associated with mining. A carpenter could conceivably also be employed by a mine.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Have you checked what records area available for that part of England in the FamilySearch browsable images?

As for using the same name - certainly families seem to have run out of imagination to a degree, treating Eliza and Elizabeth as different names, and similarly Mary/Maria. Normally using a name that's identical would happen only if the previous holder of the name had died.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks UJ and Christine - I've gone cross-eyed going through the Durham images on FamilySearch - found some gems, but not anything for Sarah. I'll keep trying - something may come up.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
        X