TNA Divorce file 1929

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNA Divorce file 1929

The National Archives have a file about a divorce 1929 between Horace Prescott Stone and Frances Annie Stone with Co-respondent Leslie Arthur Hearn..
    I have contacted them but they recommend a visit as the file could be large.
    I wanted to know if it is my Leslie Arthur Hearn who should have been in India in 1929
    Does anyone have access to any Newspsper or the like that could through any light on where the case was heard or reported.

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
    The National Archives have a file about a divorce 1929 between Horace Prescott Stone and Frances Annie Stone with Co-respondent Leslie Arthur Hearn..
    I have contacted them but they recommend a visit as the file could be large.
    I wanted to know if it is my Leslie Arthur Hearn who should have been in India in 1929
    Does anyone have access to any Newspsper or the like that could through any light on where the case was heard or reported.
    Have you checked
    [1] the London Gazette online archive? and
    [2] what your own library service allows? (Hertfordshire Library service gives me access to an amazing amount online - some even from home - including the Times Digital Archive and the British Library C19th Newspaper Collection.)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Times has the case listed in the Law Notices on 25 Nov 1929 for the "Probate,Divorce & Admiralty Division" of the High Court, shown as undefended Stone v Stone & Hearn (part heard) , and there is also a listing of the decree being made absolute in the Times on 1 Jul 1930. Neither entry has any detail or other information on the case.
      Last edited by AntonyM; 06-08-12, 20:56.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Colin

your man may well have been in India anyway - as the case was undefended, he wouldn't need to appear.

OC

Comment

Thank you for your help... now have a bit more information to add...
          I have seen previous mention of people going to local library... but for some reason it never occured to me to try my own to see what they have... must do that this week..

Comment

There are some members on here who go to TNA regularly and might be willing to have a look at what there is for you so you can order the digital copy or maybe they would have it photocopied there for you and you pay whatever.

Why not put a thread on the Research Requests Board but check the Research Offers Board first.

Margaret

Comment

I viewed a couple of divorce files when I last went to the TNA and they were quite large. They were very informative, with copies of marriage certificates etc. Luckily I had my digital camera with me so I was able to photograph the pages in which I was interested.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
                Thank you for your help... now have a bit more information to add...
                I have seen previous mention of people going to local library... but for some reason it never occured to me to try my own to see what they have... must do that this week..
                My library card gives me online access from home to an amazing selection of reference material - including newspaper archives. If I actually make the effort to go to the library itself, then I can have free (somewhat clunky!) access to Ancestry.com (library edition - i.e. not trees or communication with other researchers). To get around the clunkiness of the library Ancestry, I will do what I can for free at home to narrow down the possibilities, and then note what I have to do at the library. I can download images from the library Ancestry, which I can then bring home.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-08-12, 15:16.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X