Cottage history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottage history

Could anyone advise me on is it possible to find the history of the cottage I live in.

I only rent the property and my landlord is simply not interested. I believe that it could have been built in the latter half of the 1600s. I have found who lived here in 1901 but can't find anything previous to that.
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

If you can't identify it one censuses (which is likely as they didn't give addresses in small villages) your best bet will be to visit the Archives and try to identify the cottage on large scale historical maps.
    Was Ravenstonedale in Westmorland? If so then Kendal is the place to visit. If it was Cumbria then the fab new Archive in Carlisle is the place to go. You will find the people in the Archive very helpful and they may be able to point you in the direction of deeds of transfer etc.

Edit: forgot to say you can visit the Archive free. Might be an idea to ring beforehand to say what you would like to find.
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 06-08-12, 14:20.

Comment

Tithe maps of the 1820's are a good start at the local CRO to where the cottage is. Then as Anne has already suggested the CRO will help with identifying it further back but I would still try to have a look at census back to 1841. I managed to track the history of a cottage back to 1841 in the wilds of nowhere in Cornwall, but I did know the name of the cottage back to 1881, but it was tricky before that as there seemed to be no name, but I was lucky the same family occupied the cottage back to 1841. I was surprised at the outcome as I thought it was a tied ag lab cottage but it turned out to be a tin streamer's cottage.

Janet

Comment

This page fron the Essex Record Office on searching the history of your house can be applied to most locations.

One thing that it gdoesn't mention is try to use the census returns And maps to track the route of the enumerator, it may help you to identify the occupants of the cottage.
        Last edited by keldon; 06-08-12, 17:39.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Explore the local archives to help your research into family and local history at your local council

Edna

Comment

If it's that old, and hasn't changed hands for a long time, then it may be a dead-end - but what about its history at the Land Registry? http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X