Explanation of occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explanation of occupation

On a birth certificate dated 1856, George Colson's (my 2xgrandfather) occupation is noted as 'traveller'. Am I correct in assuming that this is the other name for gypsy , or did occupation as a traveller mean something else back then? There is an address, so he's down as living in a building, not in a field!, and continues to live at addresses through two more census, so he hasn't 'travelled' off. However, I can find no evidence of his marriage. The mother is on the birth cert as Ann Colson formerly Ann Bromwich, but I've looked everywhere (I think) and can find no marriage. I've tried the Irish records, but with no luck. Is it possible that the travelling community had their own records of marriage etc and can anyone advise where I might go to look at these? Or could it be that although Ann is noted as 'formerly' she never actually married? Tut, tut!!! It makes it all a little but harder. Any advice, gratefully received.

Traveller almost certainly meant he was a commercial traveller, a rep, who travelled around taking orders for goods.

Traveller in the modern sense of a Romany-type lifestyle is a very recent addition to the language and didn't exist before the 1960s. Before the 1960s, the only people who lived a nomadic life in this country were true gypsies, Irish tinkers and tramps.

OC

Comment

Welcome to FTF, AngleS.

The lack of finding of a marriage registration can have several causes. In no particular order:
      1] Faulty recording/transcription of the name(s) - This would happen if you tried to find my own marriage record!
      2] Record not making the transcription "jump" from local District to central GRO records. Worth having a look at what's available using records here: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd
      3] The parents didn't get married in England & Wales area: could they have married in Scotland or Ireland?
      4] The parents were not actually married at all.
      5] The parents were not actually married until long after the event.

I've had a quick look, and - using the basic info you have given - [4] is the most obvious, but don't rule out the others.

Where was the birth registered?
      Have you found any siblings, and got their certificates?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Did the birth take place in England? What was the child's name, and where was s/he born?

It should be possible to find his/her parents on the censuses.

Comment

Originally posted by AngieS View Post
          ... could it be that although Ann is noted as 'formerly' she never actually married?
          The mother on the birth certs that I have is always referred to as "formerly". It just means that was her maiden name, not the name she was using at the time of the record. It does not reflect any verification of marriage.

I have a family where the parents were not married until several years after all children were born: mother was always "formerly" on her children's birth certs, and she appeared as "wife" in all censuses, before or after her marriage

Of course, I don't think there was verification of mother's maiden name either!
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 06-08-12, 00:55.

Comment

Familysearch has the baptism of George Coulson, 13 Jul 1856 at Holy Trinity, Darlington, Durham, England, s/o James & Ann Coulson.

Is this he? Do you have the baptismal record? The birth certificate information is not derived from the baptismal record (and vice versa), so it could have different/more information than the birth cert.

If not this one, have you had any success finding a baptismal record?

Comment

Explanation of occupation

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Traveller almost certainly meant he was a commercial traveller, a rep, who travelled around taking orders for goods.

Traveller in the modern sense of a Romany-type lifestyle is a very recent addition to the language and didn't exist before the 1960s. Before the 1960s, the only people who lived a nomadic life in this country were true gypsies, Irish tinkers and tramps.

OC
              Many thanks OC, that makes things a little clearer. I think I was possibly misled by a remark my mother made many years ago about my own grandfather claiming to be Irish. Apparently he was full of 'blarney'!! I guess I jumped to a conclusion when I read the word traveller.

Comment

Thanks for all the info Christine. I'll try the website you've recommended. The birth was registered in Clerkenwell, Middx and I've found the family on census forms where the parents have noted their birthplaces as Holbron and Clerkenwell so I'm pretty sure I've got the right people. However, I'm learning that you can't always believe what you see at first!! I've ordered a birth certificate of a sibling, so I'm hoping that this may shed some light, confirm, or confuse even more.

Angie

Comment

Yes, the birth took place in England - St. James, Clerkenwell, County of Middlesex. The child's name was George Edward Colson. I've found the parents on censuses, but am trying to find a marriage for the parents. so far no luck. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Thanks PhotoFamily, I've searched from when I calculate she was about 18 up to date (to make sue I didn't miss anything!!) No sign of her or him for that matter. I've ordered a birth certificate of a sibling to see if this gives any further, helpful info. They must be out there somewhere, I guess it's just a case of perseverence!

Angie

Comment

On my George Colson's birth cert the district is St James, Clerkenwell, County of Middlesex. So far I've not had any success finding a baptismal record, but I'll keep trying.

Angie

Comment

I'm confused. You say George Colson's occupation was given as traveller on the 1856 birth certificate, but surely it was George who was born in 1856. According to an 1861 census for a Colson family in Clerkenwell with a George Colson aged 4 with mother Ann as per the info you have given above, his father's name was Alfred Colson. Alfred was a french polisher in 1861, was it Alfred not George who was a traveller in 1856 or have I found the wrong family?
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I think it's the right family, but he's called George in the 1871 census, and still a French polisher. Maybe he was born George Alfred.

As a matter of interest, there's an Ann Bromwich in the 1851 census who was also a French polisher.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            I think it's the right family, but he's called George in the 1871 census, and still a French polisher. Maybe he was born George Alfred.

As a matter of interest, there's an Ann Bromwich in the 1851 census who was also a French polisher.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...l+Street.10.51
                            Ah, that clears that up. Looking at London baptisms, Alfred Colson son of Alfred and Ann (fathers occupation traveller) was baptised 9 Apr 1852 at St Thomas Charterhouse, John Frederick Colson son of George and Ann ( father - french polisher) was baptised 19 Feb 1868 at St John Clerkenwell.

Perhaps George/Alfred arrived in Clerkenwell around 1851 travelling in (ie selling) french polish - took a fancy to Ann and set up home with and worked with her. I can't see a likely marriage either - wonder if he had left a wife at one of his earlier calls !
                            Last edited by JudithM; 06-08-12, 12:30.
                            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

So if I found the right Ann in 1851, they should have married between 1851 and 1852.

Ann says she's single in 1851; I haven't found George/Alfred before 1861 yet, but what's the betting he had another wife, which is why he and Ann never married?

Comment

Maybe the interchange from Alfred to George was another part of obfuscation?

Comment

Yes, I found an Ann Bromwich on the 1851 census. It looks as though she's teamed up with George (Alfred) by 1861 as they are both on that census and still French Polishing! Her age seems to be cosistent throughout, although George - his name and age seems to change frequently. Is it usual for names and ages to change? I'm assuming that some of these people were perhaps not always aware of their birth date.

Comment

Well it has certaily obfuscated me these past few weeks!!

Comment

I'm trying to follow up on everyone's posts but, apart from learning how to find my way around this forum, I keep losing my internet connection. So, hopefully you will all see this - thank you so much for you input it has been very helpful.

Comment

I looked for baptism for John Frederick Colson. but couldn't find it. I'm using FindMyPast baptism records. Is there a better site?

Comment

Working...
                                        X