scottish roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottish roots

i am at a loss! i cannot find angus campbell wed to mary morrison (poss lochs isle of lewis scotland. as that was where their daughter christina was born) around 1834 - hoping someone can find it? with many thanks.

have you looked on familysearch? or on scotlandspeople? have you checked that registers exist for the time and period you need?

Comment

According to my map from Aberdeen and NESFHS - Locks, Ross and Cromarty marriage (and births) OPR started in 1831 - so possible it is not there if the marriage was earlier than you thought.
      Last edited by herky; 04-08-12, 16:32.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I don't think the Isle of Lewis would come under Ross & Cromarty - they are on opposite sides of the country. The OPRs (Old Parochial Records) on ScotlandsPeople would be my starting point (civil registration in Scotland didn't start until 1855). But be aware that there is a large RC population on Lewis, so it may be in the RC records, some of which are also on ScotlandsPeople.
        Last edited by Uncle John; 04-08-12, 17:36.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If looking for OPR's in Scotland use www.familysearch.org first or www.scotsorigins.com for births/marriages to narrow it down before going to scotlandspeople for the image if you find it. Saves using credits.

Unfortunately a lot of Scottish OPR's haven't survived and those that have some books have been damaged. The surviving catholic records are on scotlandspeople as I believe the Catholic Archives has closed but I'm not sure of the coverage.

It might be worth going onto www.rootsweb.com and leaving a message on the message board for Lewis.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

thanks for the replies, i have been on scotlands people but no luck i am not subscribed now though but if it was before 1831 as stated i think i have had it , oh well, just my luck! thanks for your time x

Comment

thanks j bee x

Comment

Originally posted by cherel1 View Post
                thanks for the replies, i have been on scotlands people but no luck i am not subscribed now though but if it was before 1831 as stated i think i have had it , oh well, just my luck! thanks for your time x
                ScotlandsPeople isn't a subscription site - you buy credits. If the record you need is there, it's usually a lot cheaper than buying English/Welsh records. Wills up to 1901 are free to search and often the search gives you a lot of information without having to buy the Will.

Comment

There is a marriage of an Angus Campbell on Family search to a Morrison but no fist name- https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ion_id=1771074
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

i forgot about the credits uncle john thanks! and thanks to chrissie i suppose it could be the one, christina was born in lochs but its not necessarily where her parent wed.

Comment

I have a few credits on Scotland people but I couldn't find a marriage to look at - sorry.
                      p.s. Non in the catholic section either.
                      Where did you get her parents names from please? I can't find them in 1841.
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 04-08-12, 20:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        I don't think the Isle of Lewis would come under Ross & Cromarty - they are on opposite sides of the country. The OPRs (Old Parochial Records) on ScotlandsPeople would be my starting point (civil registration in Scotland didn't start until 1855). But be aware that there is a large RC population on Lewis, so it may be in the RC records, some of which are also on ScotlandsPeople.
                        Hi Uncle John,
                        Although the Isle of Lewis is in the West and we think of Ross shire as the East - the Isle of Lewis is part of Rossshire - usually known as Wester Ross. Ross and Cromarty stretches across from the East to the West.
                        At least I hope I have that correct.
                        Last edited by herky; 04-08-12, 20:35.
                        herky
                        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I stand corrected!

Comment

chrissie, i had the names from the marriage of christina to donald mclean in 1874 stornoway. she was 44 and he was 57 i think it was his second marriage.

Comment

Scottish statutory recards are great for including the parents names including mother's maiden name. Had a death in 1863 which gave both his parents names c1800 which helps make up for the lack of info on OPR's.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

scots registration was beautiful, pity it came in so late though. i hate the fact they didn't view burials as important either. could have settled quite a bit of folklore and mystery if they did!!

Comment

What was Donald occupation on the marriage cert Cherel?If she was 44 in 1874 wouldn't she have been born c1830 not 1834?
                                  Have you found Christina on any census?

Comment

yes chrissie, he was a seaman - i have christina born in 1834 from 1881 census but then again i have 1891 census as being born in 1828? (she was widowed then)

Comment

Yes I have a few of those who suddenly become younger with each census. 6 years is the most knocked off. I would go with the earliest census as being the more likely for age but not the 1841 which was rounded up or down.

Comment

the scots and irish did not know how old they were. you will find their ages are more fluid than anyone else's. it's important to nail addresses or family members to connect the dots with census entries, especially if you have a bunch of common as names in the one area.

i would say you won't find anything for christina's birth or her parents. are there burial records for the town you want?

Comment

Working...
                                        X