1940 fully indexed/searchable on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 fully indexed/searchable on Ancestry

1940 Census now available on Ancestry for all 50 states. presumably territories too, but I didn't check

Familysearch announced that the 1940 census project has completed indexing, but plans to spend the next 3-4 weeks cleaning up the index, so no additional states are available for searching as yet. Ones that were previously online remain available, but are part of the cleanup, too.

it's free to search and view the 1940 on ancestry atm.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
      1940 Census now available on Ancestry for all 50 states. presumably territories too, but I didn't check

Familysearch announced that the 1940 census project has completed indexing, but plans to spend the next 3-4 weeks cleaning up the index, so no additional states are available for searching as yet. Ones that were previously online remain available, but are part of the cleanup, too.
      Thank you - been looking and filling a few gaps.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Yes this is "free" to search but how do you download?? I did rather assume that this was going to be part of the Worldwide Package and have just slated Ancestry for being unable to download anything! Maybe I have got it wrong, but the image appears to be downloading, but then I cannot find the file and there is no way of controlling to where the download goes?? If you cannot download then surely they should make that plain. It is hardly a free search if you cannot download!

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 05-08-12, 11:26.

Comment

I downloaded the images to my computer in the normal way. It gives the opportunity to "save as" - enter a unique name and then if all else fails, you can track it on your computer by putting this name in the search facility.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Janet,

I tried downloading in the normal way "Save as" but it would not do it for me. Perhaps when I tried the site was down or not working properly so I will try again but I spent a long time trying to download without any luck! I have not had problems downloading other things from Ancestry so.............!

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 05-08-12, 13:13.

Comment

Sometimes it can take several minutes to download a single image, so make sure you give it long enough. Do you get a downloading message?

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've had no trouble saving to my computer, but when my sub wasn't active it wouldn't save to my tree. I.e., compare data from existing individual information to the new record's data, update the individual records with the new info, create the citation in the individual's profile

Comment

Well I am totally puzzled!! I have just been back to Ancestry and still unable to download a 1940 Census from New York. I looked at other census to see if I could download in the usual way and yes the format has changed but I could have downloaded any of the other census without any prioblems but when I try to download the 1940 Census I get the following:

There are two options and I click on the save button where it says either to attach to someone in my tree or to save to my computer. I have clicked on save to my computer and file download comes up with the name of the file 1paa34eb1d etc, type jpeg, From Media serve.ancestry.com with either open, save or cancel. When I click on save for other American Census My Documents is opened with an option for me to save in that section. But when I click on save at that point for the 1940 census all I get is a plop and nothing else happens! There has been no downloading messages. It does say Beta at the top left hand corner but other than that I am stumped!!

I only renewed Mid June 2012 for a year Worldwide so I should not be having subscription issues having just shelled out £140!!

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 05-08-12, 16:28.

Comment

Top right of screen - Orange save; Green Actions;

Click on save

Click on Save to my computer

at the bottom of the screen I now have a choice of - open, save, cancel

Click on save & get choice of

save, save as, cancel

Click on save as

document screen comes up - insert name & click on save

It has just taken nearly 5 minutes to download the image! (Busy usage, I guess as it was much quicker yesterday evening.)
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just been in once more and I can get as far as Save and no further. The only box which comes up does not have save, save as, cancel which is what comes up on all the other census. Instead for me on the 1940 census I can only access the box which says, open/save/cancel. At this point whjen I click on save all I get is a sound which sounds like plop! But this is only happening to me on the 1940 census, not on the other census. Perhps it is so busy my end that it will not let me get as far as the Save As bit!! I think I will give up for a while. But thanks for trying to help me.

Janet

Comment

Some slight success by ignoring save button on ancestry and using my own left hand corner file and save as on my computer has now brought up a black screen!! So maybe that's the slow part!! Have to wait and see!

Janet

Comment

Right I think I have now located what the problem might be!!

Trying to access black screen I have been alerted to the following note from Windows Internet Explorer.

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running script 18 or Active X controls that would access your computer. Click here for options. I clicked where it said and the question comes up which says allow blocked content Yes or No. I clicked Yes but still nothing but a black screen!! Clearly I am blocked from downloading these images so please how do I unblock?

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 05-08-12, 19:39.

Comment

Whew I have managed it!! Had to go into Internet Explorer to sort it out but now I have the annoying question that comes with everything I now do on the internet. Do I want to continue with the plug ins?? groan.

Janet

Finally sorted
                            Last edited by Janet; 05-08-12, 20:15.

Comment

haha, i feel so sorry for you! i didn't think it could have been your internet browser! i use firefox, and had no problems downloading anything.

Comment

Pleased you're sorted Janet.

I have IE and haven't had any problems with recent downloads, but as I had a new PC 2/3 months ago, my system is up to date at present. I did have problems with the old one as I couldn't find out the system specs in order to upgrade my browser.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for all your concerns. Wow, you do have to keep on top of all these computer glitches. I think it may be dawning on me now why some of my family history group arer having difficulty downloading from ancestry! I did update over a year ago on IE so really did not think this was the problem initially.

Sorry if I have hijacked thread but if anybody else is having downloading problems remember to look carefully at IE!!

Janet
                                  Last edited by Janet; 06-08-12, 10:06.

Comment

Working...
                                  X