Adopting HER surname?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopting HER surname?

Is anyone familiar with a couple adopting her surname in current times? Specifically, I'm talking of a couple born in the 1960's. They are living common law, have a few children, and all of them--including the man/father & children--use the woman/mother's maiden surname. As they are still living I can't access official records to obtain a lot of detail. I can't think of a legitimate reason for this, other than to elude someone or some agency. There is no entitlement or such that I can think of attached to her name. Any ideas?

I have a friend who's son in law does not ever want to be found by his own family so has taken this measure.
    Thats all I know

Edna

Comment

I have a (male) friend whose surname was Smith. His partner's surname was much less common AND she was an only child, so they used her surname instead of his.

OC

Comment

You can call yourself anything you like as long as it's not done for fraudulent reasons. I know girl that refuse to take husband's names so I tend to hyphenate them when writing - the children have the father's surname though.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I had a friend who asked her husband to adopt her surname (within the last 5 years)

The reason - her father was the only son of her grandfather. She had no brothers, and the surname would die out (in this country) if she took his name.
          Barbara

Comment

i never did understand the importance of carrying on the family name? i mean even if there are no men with it, there are still descendants of any daughters, so in essence the family line is still alive and well. my maternal grandfather was old fashioned and hellbent on the name being carried on. he has two male line grandsons, out of 13 grandchildren by a son and 4 daughters plus a great grandson by one of the daughters. the family is still there!

Comment

The continuation of my family line rests with one grandson, who has his father's surname. There are no other male lines with issue, so the surname will die out.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Friends of ours took the wife's surname. Her family are quite well to do & she is an only child & her father wanted the name to be passed on to their children

Comment

Its only tradition that causes most couples to adopt the surname of the male. I'm sure there's no legal requirement one way or the other.
                  LOL .... the only people it really troubles are their friends and acquaintances who never quite know how to address them!!

Anne

Comment

the only people it really troubles are their friends and acquaintances who never quite know how to address them!!
                    True, but I suspect it's going to be a pain for future family genealogists too!

Comment

One of my direct ancestors was born out of wedlock so he was baptised with his mothers maiden name. He then married with the same surname. However, on the census returns he took the name of his Father/step father. That took some sorting out!

Sandra

Comment

always does sandra ;) they don't want it to be easy now!!

Comment

Working...
                        X