Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this place please

William Wallace is my rellie he is here in 1871
    Ridge House Convalescence Hospital Ridge, South Mimms Hertfordshire, England as a patient assistance chair carver
    Last edited by Guest; 31-07-12, 23:45.

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post

William Wallace is my rellie he is here in 1871
    Ridge House Convalescence Hospital Ridge, South Mimms Hertfordshire, England as a patient assistance chair carver
    It appears to be a school run by Revd John D BELL, 30 (b St Bees, Cumberland), who is not a (C of E) parish priest, but a schoolmaster.

There may be some records in the Herts catalogue? Or could be Middx, I gather.

There seems to have been a Wood Street Grammar School.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-08-12, 00:05.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine I couldnt work it out

Comment

thanks Christine I couldnt work it out
        I worked my way backwards through the images until I found what appeared to be the start of the "household" - taking account of the number of people of similar age described as "Scholars".

I did a bit of googling, and I think - without much checking, I have to admit - that it's possibly the same as the "Ridge House" mentioned (with some history) on this page: http://www.walk-talk.co.uk/RIDGE.htm

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Here's the description of the enumeration district http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...9_786_790-0464 that covers the address and there is mention of a workhouse as one of the properties covered.
          Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 01-08-12, 18:56. Reason: fixed the link

Comment

thanks for that Christine I dont understand why he would be in there both parents were alive ?
            Thanks Margaret but that link is broken.

Comment

There may well have been a workhouse in the district but pretty sure this was a school and nothing to do with the workhouse as Revd Bell's occupation was originally written as "Clerg. Ch of Eng without cure of souls Private School" private was later crossed out and master added to school. I'm not sure why you would be surprised at the lad being at a school when his parents were alive. Several of my lot, not rich but with hairdressing businesses and the like, had enough money to send their children away to private schools.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks Judith its a first away in a school for me , is there any way of finding out why he was a patient in 1871 ?

Comment

Are you sure about him being a patient in Ridge in 1871. I couldn't find him there but he appears to have stayed on at the Wood Street School as a schoolmaster http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=1381724

Comment

thanks for that Christine I dont understand why he would be in there both parents were alive ?
                    Thanks Margaret but that link is broken.
                    I have fixed the link - it got mixed up with my text!
                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                      Are you sure about him being a patient in Ridge in 1871. I couldn't find him there but he appears to have stayed on at the Wood Street School as a schoolmaster http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=1381724
                      There's a Harriett Wallace age 23, kitchen maid there too.

Margaret

Comment

yes Juditch he is a chair carver in 1871 which is what he did for a trade his name should be spelt Wallis not Wallace

Dont think that Harriet is related Margaret ?

Comment

yes Juditch he is a chair carver in 1871 which is what he did for a trade his name should be spelt Wallis not Wallace

Dont think that Harriet is related Margaret ?
                          In this case I don't think the William at school in 1861 is your chap, as he was only 9 (your one was 22 in 1871 so should be 12 in 1861) and as shown om the 1871 which i posted seems to have remained at the school as a school master.

Comment

mine was born in 1851 Judith ? looks like your right then , shall have to keep looking in 1861

Comment

Working...
                            X