Just out of curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just out of curiosity

I'm not of any religious persuasion so forgive my ignorance but what does the following mean:

"The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester"

My interpretation is that there is a vicar in the village church and what they're paid??????

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Gillingwest/Gillingwest35.html

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Got the general idea now JBee, cheers.

Comment

This is probably explained much more clearly on Wikipedia or somewhere, but (in Church of England terms - and there's a degree of overlap with other denominations)...

A Diocese is a large area encompassing lots of parishes - there is usually an associated Cathedral, which has a Dean in charge, but the Bishop is in charge of the whole Diocese.
        An Archdeaconry is a subset of a Diocese (there might be two or three in a Diocese), with a number of parishes, and has an Archdeacon in charge.
        A Deanery is a subset of an Archdeaconry, so has several parishes - perhaps a dozen or so. That would be headed by a Rural Dean - i.e. a Dean who was out in the countryside so not to be confused with the very senior person in post at the Cathedral! The Rural Dean would be one of the parish clergy - i.e. a vicar/rector - from amongst the set of parishes.
        A Parish is an area, usually corresponding to a town or village, and usually having a church to itself, with some parishes having additional churches.

A Rector or Vicar would be in charge of a Parish: historically having the freehold of the property (but not so "freehold" that (s)he could sell it!).
        "Curate" is often used as a term for someone who is a member of the clergy, and assisting a Rector or Vicar to run a parish. Technically, that should be "Assistant Curate" because the Rector/Vicar (the terms have historical significance, but are essentially the same) is the "curate" - i.e. is responsible, under the Bishop, for the "cure of souls" (in modern parlance, you could probably substitute "care" for "cure"). In France, the "Curé" is (approximately) the Rector/Vicar, while the "Vicaire" is what we might call "the Curate". The term "vicar" is associated, historically, with some level of "standing in" for someone - the word has the same roots as "vicarious".

A "living" is used in much the same way as "making a living" - i.e. it refers to financial support, and benefits in kind. If you come across the word "stipend" - it means something like a salary, but it's simply an amount of money intended to enable a person to pursue their calling/vocation without having to earn money elsewhere to support themselves. It's most commonly associated with clergy pay, but may be found for academic posts, too, for example.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, Christine - I've wondered looking at the various records what the differences were in the titles used by the clergy

Comment

Useful information Christine, thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X