Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a marriage Joseph Thorbon to Mary

Morning all

I'm looking for a marriage of Joseph Thorbon to Mary unknown, likely to be in the late 1700's or possibly very early 1800's. The only fly in the ointment is where it took place, Joseph was a mariner and got about a bit,

Known dates/places shown below;

1. Joseph Thorbon was born 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

Other events in the life of Joseph Thorbon
    Baptism: 10 Jan 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Children of Joseph Thorbon:
    i. William Thorbon was born ABT 1801 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died 29 Apr 1883 in Les Canichers, Guernsey
    ii. Mary Thorbon was born ABT 1803 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died 11 Dec 1894 in Les Canichers, Guernsey
    iii. Martha Thorbon was born ABT 1809 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died 24 Jan 1900 in Les Canichers, Guernsey

Going to crash out for a couple of hours after a night shift, will look back in later.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 29-07-12, 06:25.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Familysearch has these details on the census
    William Thorbon born 1799 St Peters Port
    Mary A Thorbon born 1803 St Peters Port
    Martha Thorbon born 1808 St Peters Port .....all Guernsey

ADDED
    Mary Thorbon born 1776 in England is their mother
    unusual none of the children are married ?
    Last edited by garstonite; 29-07-12, 06:39.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
      Familysearch has these details on the census
      William Thorbon born 1799 St Peters Port
      Mary A Thorbon born 1803 St Peters Port
      Martha Thorbon born 1808 St Peters Port .....all Guernsey

ADDED
      Mary Thorbon born 1776 in England is their mother
      unusual none of the children are married ?
      Yeah I picked up baptisms from familysearch and they are well recorded via obit columns in the Guernsey papers which is how I found the name Mary. Now looking for the marriage to discover her maiden/former name.
      Joseph is also recorded as captain of vessels engaged against Prussia and America at one point.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thats funny Glen, I was at a do last week and someone was introduced with the surname Thorbon and I knew I knew it from somewhere .......... Not that that helps you.

I guess you have thought of looking into the military side of it - whether there is a pension or will with the wife mentioned or whether they married at sea or in some sort of barracks?

I expect you have seen this re a William Thorbon born Guernsey?

Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 30-07-12, 14:55.

Comment

It's an odd one to trace H, variant spellings such as Thorbone/Thorborne etc, also a line that doesn't have many descendants as only two children in one particular generation married that I can tell, (see generation 3 in the report).

Generation 1

1. John Thorbon died 1767 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. He married Elizabeth unknown. She died 1766 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

Children of John Thorbon and Elizabeth unknown:
          i. 2. William Thorbon was born in Possibly Norfolk and died Jan 1792 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Generation 2

2. William Thorbon was born in Possibly Norfolk and died Jan 1792 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. He married Martha Rogers 10 Jul 1770 in St Margarets, Kings Lynn. She was born ABT 1746 in Possibly Norfolk and died 21 Nov 1832 in Gateley, Norfolk.

Children of William Thorbon and Martha Rogers:
          i. 3. Joseph Thorbon was born 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk
          ii. William Thorbon was born ABT 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk
          iii. James Thorbon was born 1774 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk
          iv. 4. Rebecca Thorbon was born 1782 in Kings Lynn,Norfolk and died in Great Dunham,Norfolk

Generation 3

3. Joseph Thorbon was born 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

Other events in the life of Joseph Thorbon
          Baptism: 10 Jan 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Children of Joseph Thorbon:
          i. William Thorbon was born ABT 1801 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died 29 Apr 1883 in Les Canichers, Guernsey
          ii. Mary Thorbon was born ABT 1803 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died 11 Dec 1894 in Les Canichers, Guernsey
          iii. Martha Thorbon was born ABT 1809 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died 24 Jan 1900 in Les Canichers, Guernsey, Channel Islands

4. Rebecca Thorbon was born 1782 in Kings Lynn,Norfolk and died in Great Dunham,Norfolk. She married John Harrison 27 Nov 1823 in St Nicholas, Kings Lynn. He was born ABT 1790 in unknown.

Other events in the life of Rebecca Thorbon
          Baptism: 17 Dec 1782 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Children of Rebecca Thorbon and John Harrison:
          i. 5. Elizabeth Martha Harrison was born 1826 in Heacham,Norfolk and died 05 Sep 1864 in Walsingham,Norfolk

Generation 4

5. Elizabeth Martha Harrison was born 1826 in Heacham,Norfolk and died 05 Sep 1864 in Walsingham,Norfolk. She married George Elmer 10 Mar 1851 in Parish Church,Great Dunham,Norfolk. He was born 1823 in North Elmham,Norfolk and died 29 Jul 1901 in 37 Sibthorpe Street, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, son of Robert Elmer and Hannah Curson.

Children of Elizabeth Martha Harrison and George Elmer:
          i. Joseph Thorbon Elmer was born 1851 in Dunham,Norfolk and died 10 Dec 1879 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire
          ii. 6. Elizabeth Rebecca Elmer was born 1853 in Dunham,Norfolk and died 20 Sep 1911 in Colegrave St, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
          iii. 7. Martha Thorbon Elmer was born 09 Jan 1855 in Billingford Norfolk and died 16 Mar 1956 in 11 Hewson Road,Lincoln, Lincolnshire
          iv. Emma Elmer was born 12 Dec 1856 in Billingford,Norfolk and died 24 Dec 1856 in Billingford,Norfolk
          v. 8. George Thorbon Elmer was born 1858 in Billingford Norfolk and died 06 Feb 1942 in Duke St, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
          vi. William Thorbon Elmer was born 1860 in Worthing,Norfolk and died Dec 1900 in Norfolk
          vii. 9. Rebecca Thorbon Elmer was born 1862 in Billingford Norfolk
          Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 30-07-12, 18:33.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            Part of the 1812 Privateers info, the last dated information I have about him.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I've found a copy of an original document, do you have that too?

apologies if you have, not sure if it is part of, homepage is

didn't find this link last night so double checking it with you:o
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                I've found a copy of an original document, do you have that too?

apologies if you have, not sure if it is part of, homepage is

didn't find this link last night so double checking it with you:o

Thanks Elaine

I did find a scan of the original somewhere in the internet and saved it as 1812 Privateers, I think it may well have come from the site you gave in your post, just checked and I actually have references to two different "campaigns" he was involved with. Despite trawling forums and snooping around with the surname for a few years now it seems that nobody is looking into it, the name virtually vanished from the England/Wales bmd and I haven't been able to link any of the early 1700 names in. I was hoping that being able to find a surname for Mary might lead to something but all I have is another Mary unknown born in the late 1700's to add to the already big collection.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                X