Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing in 1861 - and what happened to spouse #1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1861 - and what happened to spouse #1?

Catherine JORY married James William PEASE, Jan 1855

First, Pease is an artificer, & father Jory is an artificer. The marriage is performed by ?, Chaplain Royal Artillery ?????
    So, it's safe to assume that the groom and the bride's father were probably both military?

Can't read the witnesses' names - ???? Jory, and Isabela S???

Second, can't find Catherine or James in 1861?

Third, can't find a death for James, but Catherine remarries in 1868. No sign of children from a first marriage. Anyone see it?

Of course, they may have been overseas...

dont know what area you are talking about ?? but there is a death for a James William pease in Jun quarter 1864 Greenwich 1D 471

Comment

Thanks, Val
      Can you find him in 1861? If he were with Catherine in that area in 1861, it would support the idea that it is he.

I don't have a DOB/POB for him
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 28-07-12, 23:33.

Comment

not found him yet ?

Comment

not having any luck

Comment

If he were military he may have been posted overseas with her?
            She was born 24 Jul 1829 in Stonehouse, Devon, England

Comment

Oh, think I just found Catherine & father John - a sister to the head of household

It says she's married, and there's a 4 yr old with her. No sign of #1spouse
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-07-12, 00:06.

Comment

Witnesses looks like Joan or Jean ? and Isabella Smith

Comment

is this his bap says father is an Artist and its in Greenwich ? so maybe that death is him ?
                  Last edited by Guest; 29-07-12, 00:17.

Comment

Maybe Jane? Apparently Catherine had a sister Jane, & I'm pretty sure the surname of witness #1 is Jory

can't be sure of baptism - have no info abt him except name & wife...

gotta go!

Comment

may be in a part of london not surviving in 1861. if you've got catherine all good. have you worked with him from birth? might be a place to start?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        may be in a part of london not surviving in 1861. if you've got catherine all good. have you worked with him from birth? might be a place to start?
                        I definitely have her in 1861, reporting she was married, but husband not there. She's with her father, sister and son from her first marriage. So, without buying certs, I won't know with certainty where #1 went. I've followed that son forward - apparently he had just one child who did not survive. I don't think I'll pursue this line more.

All this started when I went looking for something I spotted a while ago and didn't have time to investigate: some where I saw a side branch who ran a school in London. Of course, I didn't leave myself pointers to follow up. Do you think I could find it again? NO!!!

Thanks, again for all the experts who lend their eyes in my searches

Comment

In 1861 it was not common practice for military wifes to accompany their husbands on overseas postings or even to have army accomodation provided at home.
                          Most likely scenario is that the husband was engaged in miltary duties and wife and child were with her relatives.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                          X