i've made a mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've made a mess

i may be tired, so please, poke holes. i think i have screwed up a line.

so it all began with jonathan westwick b.1831, marske, yorkshire. in 1851 he is staying in guiseborough with robert robinson b.1794 guisborough, and his wife jane b.1791, guiseborough. jonathan is listed as 'nephew'.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

now i cannot find a birth for jonathan, but i had him down as the son of my ancestors jonathan westwick and anne hunter who married in 1806 guisborough. now anne was b.1786 guisborough, daughter of john.

tracing the robinson's i see robert robinson married jane hunter in 1816 guisborough. 5 children from the marriage. jane was b.1791, dau of william. she has sisters hannah in 1784 and mary in 1788.

in 1841, jonathan westwick cannot be identified with certainty, there is one in durham, son of andrew and mary.

so i have jonathan who i thought was mine, but suspect he is the son of andrew, but cannot andrew to the hunters. if jonathan is mine, he is can't be a nephew of jane, because anne was an only child. then it hit me. a hint for jane's sister hannah comes up with family trees for my ancestor anne. could anne in fact have been christened hannah? in 1784, not 1786? i've just noticed anne on the census has a birth year of 1785 in 1841 and 1851.

does anyone have any ideas? am i completely nuts? or am i onto something here?

Did Jonathan marry please and if so, what was the occupation of Jonathans father on his marriage?

p.s. I assume that you have discounted the one in Marske in 1841 whose father is a widower?
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-07-12, 14:43.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

1841 Census:
      Sparrow Cottage Marske
      WESTWICK, Jonathan M 55 1786 Yorkshire
      WESTWICK, Jonathan M 10 1831 Yorkshire
      WESTWICK, Joseph M 15 1826 Yorkshire
      WESTWICK, Ann F 55 1786 Yorkshire
      WESTWICK, Martha F 20 1821 Yorkshire
      WESTWICK, Rebecca F 15 1826 Yorkshire
      WESTWICK, John M 20 1821 Yorkshire
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oh I hadn't noticed Ann lower down below the children!! I asked about his fathers occupation in case it was game keeper or similar.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-07-12, 14:48.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I have an ancestor who was christened Anne but always known as Hannah, and was actually called Hannah on her gravestone, so I would say it is possible that those two are the same person. On a lot of trees she is actually referred to as Anne Hannah.
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            in 1841, jonathan westwick cannot be identified with certainty, there is one in durham, son of andrew and mary.
            I think you have the right Jonathan.

The Jonathan born Durham parents: Andrew and Ann (presume Ann died as you have mother Mary [2nd wife?]), he was christened 10th Feb 1830, Barnard Castle Durham, and full name was Jonathan Mcdowell Westwick.

There's a possible death for him.........Jonathan Macdowell Westwick, Teesdale Durham, Jan-Mar 1845.
            Last edited by Guest; 29-07-12, 00:45.

Comment

thank you all for the help! so he is my jonathan! i knew i had a reason i claimed him, but when i looked for him on findmypast, i had not found him in 1841. yes, jonathan westwick senior was a shoemaker/game keeper. he married anne hunter in 1806, and she is always 'anne'. there is no death for her, but she was buried in guisborough in 1863.

i don't think jonathan jnr was married, i could not find him in later census. there is a death in 1851, which is his father, i have that cert. the only other death that could fit i guess is 1854 dewsbury, which covers soothill, which i have seen as a westwick residence somewhere.

thank you susan for clarifying that.

Comment

so i guess jane and anne were sisters, and she was christened hannah. i wonder if the anne b.1786 is a cousin?

Comment

Hi
                  The Jonathan who died in 1854 was an infant. Buried 17th January Heckmondwike St James.

Moggie

Comment

There was a Jonathan Westwick died in Australia in 1855. Birth year worked out as 1830.
                    Don't have a worldwide sub to look at the place.
                    Moggie

P S Just put in Victoria in place box & the record came up.
                    Last edited by maudarby; 30-07-12, 13:10.

Comment

Have you seen this obituary for his father?
                      York Herald 3rd Jan 1852

Lately at Marske, Mr Jonathan Westwick age 69 for thirty-five years game-keeper to the Earl of Zetland.
                      The father of the deceased lived in the same family forty-five years.

Moggie

Comment

no i hadn't seen that moggie! where did you find it? the death for that jonathan in victoria, no parents mentioned. wonder if it's worth getting.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          no i hadn't seen that moggie! where did you find it? the death for that jonathan in victoria, no parents mentioned. wonder if it's worth getting.
                          I found the obit in the Gale online newspapers.
                          I have no idea what extra info you would get from the death cert. If the parents weren't named how could you be sure it was him?
                          I wonder if there are any passenger lists that you might find him on. I can't locate him in the lists on Ancestry.
                          Moggie

Comment

the death is for 1855, so it should say where he was born, how long he'd been in australia, and if he was married, with wife's name, marriage details and any kids. but he was like 25, so i think the county if birth is the best i could i get.

Comment

Working...
                            X