Missing in 1841 & 1851 - and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1841 & 1851 - and other questions

Edward John VEALE, born London, Sep 1826. Father John, mother died 1835.

Brother William living in Devon with an uncle.

No DOB for father John.

In 1861 he's in Bristol w/ wife, Rebecca (married 1854, London). Other census records beyond that all found.

Questions:
    1) Can anyone find him in 1841 & 1851? I think he was being moved around from family to family.

2) Can anyone find his father, same years?

3) What part of London is his birthplace in 1861? I think the enumerator mis-wrote it - have a reasonable guess?

4) What's his occupation in 1871 - "Agent to Royal Liver Friendly Socy (& Money Lender)" - is that really Liver? Was it an abbreviation? Would there be surviving records of training or anything else? This is the brother of the man I asked about in a previous thread.

could this be him in 1851 using the name John Veale born abt 1827 London a single Shopman living in Somerset
    H0107 1941 180 4

and there definitely was or is a Royal Liver Society
    Last edited by Guest; 27-07-12, 20:17.

Comment

John Veale born abt 1791 Edward Veale born abt 1826
      1841 ?
      H0107 1083 2/42 27 living in Southwark

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        John Veale born abt 1791 Edward Veale born abt 1826
        1841 ?
        H0107 1083 2/42 27 living in Southwark
        I like it. Still looking for 1851

and there definitely was or is a Royal Liver Society
        And, yes, wikipedia has an entry for it. The "Liver" threw me off - I was trying out Diver or anything else.
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-07-12, 21:00.

Comment

could this be him in 1851 using the name John Veale born abt 1827 London a single Shopman living in Somerset
          H0107 1941 180 4
          Not sure about this one. I've only seen him referred to as Edward before, and there are more John Veales out there than I would have guessed

Thanks, Val
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-07-12, 21:12.

Comment

Anyone with a guess on the 1861 birthplace? Ancestry interpreted it as Danmerwitt, but I think Hammersmith is more likely?

Anyone find John Veale born 1791 in the 1851 or a death for him?

And, in the 1841, John Veale's occupation appears to be "M S"? - that would mean Man Servant?
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-07-12, 21:15.

Comment

looks like everybody is watching the Olympics after all ?? I must say I wouldn't have said Hammersmith myself.
              Last edited by Guest; 27-07-12, 21:33.

Comment

Liver is pronounced 'Lye ver' .... not 'Liv ver' as in the meat/offal... I guess the way I think of it is the Liver [lye ver] building in Liverpool...lol.. oh and the british sit com.. 'the Liver birds'... (same pronunciation)
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

looks like everybody is watching the Olympics after all ?? I must say I wouldn't have said Hammersmith myself.
                  not me Val.. can't STAND sport. :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

at the moment Julie its just a lot of people walking and waving little flags ??

Comment

And, in the 1841, John Veale's occupation appears to be "M S"? - that would mean Man Servant?

M S Male servant F S Female servant

I think the place name begins with a D if you compare it to where the enumerator has put Do (Ditto) in the name column.
                      Moggie

Comment

at the moment Julie its just a lot of people walking and waving little flags ??
                        yawns...lol.. have a beer!..
                        Julie

Comment

Glad some people are here!

I was thinking that the enumerator may not have known London boroughs, and couldn't read what had been written? Hammersmith seemed closest to resemble what had been written - the enumerator definitely started with a 'D'

Comment

oooh Sarah..

there is a private tree for EJ Veale on Ancestry.. I don't think you have access to it do you?

Julie

Comment

there are many trees with EJ and his parents John & Charlotte Joyce! We don't all agree with who her parents are! ;)There are family bibles out there (yes, two pertinent ones).
                              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-07-12, 22:05.

Comment

There isn't a borough of London named Dammersmitt is there? Or anything else that's close?

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  I don't think you have access to it do you?
                                  sub active til 8/8?/12 - found a cousin's tree and had to contact her

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                    There isn't a borough of London named Dammersmitt is there? Or anything else that's close?
                                    Hammersmith is probably the closest Sarah, though I think this tree has him born in Holborn... I don't know London very well, so couldn't say if it was close or not. though definitely NOT any place called 'Dammersmitt'
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                      sub active til 8/8?/12 - found a cousin's tree and had to contact her
                                      you should be able to see this, thought it is a private tree so you can still initiate contact..

Julie

Comment

Hmm, I've contacted some Veale descendants, don't think they liked my ideas...
                                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-07-12, 22:18.

Comment

Working...
                                        X