Lancashire Parish records now on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancashire Parish records now on Ancestry

Hi just wanted to let everyone know Ancestry has added some Parish records to their collection - guess what I will be doing today?

Sandra

I'll be joining you Sandra! Thanks for letting us know.

Comment

make sure you look at coverage of parishes before you search births, deaths and marriage databases. the births from 1813 have more parishes and churches than the deaths from 1813.

Comment

The coverage isn't great - I don't know if this is just the start, or all we're going to get.

Comment

It doesn't seem to include any Manchester registrations which is a pity - hopefully more will follow.

Sandra

Comment

Sandra- thanks for letting us know. I found a lot of Manchester information on the Lancashire online parish clerk site
            Angelina

Comment

I wonder if it's based on the Lancashire OPC project, which is by no means complete itself.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

they don't have several parishes i need: didsbury, colne, manchester (some of which is on FMP). and other parishes are not covered as much, as in start at some point too late like preston which has records from 1839-1850. i need 1820-1835. but i have noticed it is still like that in the london records, and they updated them twice now. so i hope they release more. havn't found anyone in my family, but hope it keeps coming.

i hope they do north yorkshire soon. most of my english ones are from there.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. All the records I have found so far are also on the Lancs OPC site, although by no means all the Lancs OPC records appear to be on Ancestry yet, if that makes sense. Hopefully the Ancestry Lancashire records are a work in progress but it is always well worth checking the Lancs OPC site as well as this is regularly updated. It is nice to be able to see the original images rather than just the transcripts though!

Comment

And of course LANOPC is free, which is very handy for those of us who do not have Ancestry!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      And of course LANOPC is free, which is very handy for those of us who do not have Ancestry!

OC
                      That's very true! And their transcripts are generally a lot more accurate than Ancestry too....

Comment

But not much use for parishes/dates not yet transcribed.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

yes, lancsopc is quite useful, if they have what you want. i usually find they have a parish i want, but dates too early or too late.

Comment

Working...
                          X