1833 adoption Records london

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1833 adoption Records london

I have an Ancestor Phoebe Ann Brett born 1824 to Jane Troke and Stephen Brett.
    Her father Stephen Brett pased 1828 and her mother remarried 28 Dec 1832 to a David Vivian.

I am now seeing records for Phoebe Ann Brett before 1832 and Phoebe Ann Vivian after 1832 mother being Phoebe Ann Brett and Phoebe Ann Vivian.

My conclusion is that David Vivian must have Adopted Phoebe Ann Brett after his marrige to her mother, after 1832.

Is there a reliable Adoption Records look up site for London ??

Regards
    Noel

Legal adoptions really only began around 1927. Before that arrangements were usually informal. Your Phoebe would just have been known by her step father's name after her mother's remarriage - no legal change of name required.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

it technically wouldn't be adoption anyway. she would have used his name or her father's. likely she would put a biological father on the marriage, but a lot of cases where people get thrown are when step father's are listed as blood fathers.

Comment

Well she appears to have married as Brett and to have known who her father was too. I take it this is her marriage in 1846? -
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Phoebe Ann Brett married Humphrey Cowling{Howlin}
          Occcupation "Mariner"
          24th March 1846, Hoxton St John, Hackney.
          Father noted on Parish Record of "Stephen Brett" Deceased.

Comment

One of the Brett family was a witness.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thks Chrissie Smiff,
              I found that she married as Brett and put her nat Father Stephen Brett on the record.
              She married Humphrey Cowling they has 4 children: Alice Brett Cowling,Thomas Vivian Cowling,Jane COWLING and Richard James Cowling.

Thks for your help all

Noel

Comment

Yes. I had a similar confusion for a while in OH's tree, where a daughter used stepfather's name in the censuses for a while, but married with her original surname.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It may not even have ben she who used the surname on the census - possibly the enumerator just filled in the form with everyone given the same name as the head of the household. It wasn't critical information anyway, for census purposes.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    It may not even have ben she who used the surname on the census - possibly the enumerator just filled in the form with everyone given the same name as the head of the household. It wasn't critical information anyway, for census purposes.

OC
                    That would make sense. In my paternal family I have someone given the same surname as the rest of the family, but I believe that she was probably described to the enumerator as "Mother" without anyone explaining that she was actually "Wife's Mother", so she ended up with the wrong name!

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In one census I find a married daughter living in her parents' old house (they have died, married daughter, husband and children moved in). The enumerator has listed them all under her maiden name - he must have thought "Oh yes, this is the Whittakers' house" and forgotten that the daughter was married now and had a different surname.

As I said before, not critical information anyway, the census was a head count for statistical purposes.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X