Finally found my Great Uncles marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally found my Great Uncles marriage

My Great Uncle Lawrence Metcalfe was born in 1900 and married Auntie Jenny in Leeds. It shouldn't have been to difficult to find the marriage?

The only marriage that was a possible fit was one of Lawrence Metcalfe to Eliza J Appleton Leeds 1925. The assumption being that the J stood for Jenny.

Ancestry have extended their parish records to 1935 so having realised this I set my mission to find their marriage. There was no marriage recorded for Lawrence Metcalfe to Eliza J Metcalfe 1925 Leeds. However, when I searched for Eliza J Appleton the marriage was there - Metcalfe being transcribed as Netcalfe. However in all fairness to ancestry I can understand why. And Eliza J turned out to be Eliza Jane??

However, having the Certificate in front of me meant I could look at all the information and Lawrences father is shown as Richard a timekeeper (my Great Grandfather) and Eliza's father is shown as Edward. Having an age for Eliza and knowing who her father was I could begin to work out where she was born. This turned out to be Durham not Yorkshire as I thought.

Ancestry doesn't always get it right but I would never have found the information with out access to the records.

Sandra

Well done, Sandra.

Jinny is a very common northern nickname for Jane, and I have also come across Jinny then being turned into Jenny.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Great news San

if you happen to find my Harriot Nancy Lydall b. 1847 Yorkshire, lurking in the 1851 census give us a shout...lol..
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        Great news San

if you happen to find my Harriot Nancy Lydall b. 1847 Yorkshire, lurking in the 1851 census give us a shout...lol..
        Ignore that!! just found her under Lidle!!!
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Your great Uncle is my Great Grandfather!!!!! We've been wondering why we could never find him, now we know it's because he's down as Netcalfe, not Metcalfe!!!

Comment

What a good job that Sandra shared the story of the search with forum members. Did you find her post as a result of a general internet search?
            Oh, and welcome to the forum

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have sent a PM for you as she has not been on line for a few months, hope you get a reply

Edna

Comment

I literally just googled Lawrence and Elizas name casually after a family discussion about how frustrating it was to not be able to find him anywhere, and this page popped up!!

Comment

Working...
                X