haha oh they cut it fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haha oh they cut it fine

just added two and two together: my 3rd great grandfather was born 3 days AFTER his parents were married in 1817!!!

anyone else have any odd events? i wonder why they waited 9 mths?!

According to the Sawley, Derbyshire, burial register, Anne Parkinson, wife of William, was buried on 28 November 1744.

And in the baptism register for the same parish, on the same day, Anne Parkinson, daughter of William and Anne, was "baptised over her deceased mother".

Comment

Grindale East Yorkshire -
      1 Mar 1796 bp Lucy Jane Claxton - d/o George Robert & Lucy Jane Claxton
      1 Mar 1796 bur Lucy Jane - w/o George Robert Claxton

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I wonder what the odds are against this?

Mary Ann Bentley, born 29th February 1788 and buried 29th February 1828.

Comment

wow mary, the 29th feb is fascinating. what would 'over her body' be in reference to that christening? baby baptised over the mother's coffin?

Comment

janet, that's so sad. maybe they knew she was sick.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              wow mary, the 29th feb is fascinating. what would 'over her body' be in reference to that christening? baby baptised over the mother's coffin?
              Yes, I assume that's what it means.

Comment

My Great Great Grandparents married three days before their Son. Would have loved to have known why maybe the Son said about time isn't it? Or if I am getting married maybe you should too?

Comment

haha that's quite funny dahaniuk. maye he did say something alongside those lines!

mary that is quite fascinating.

Comment

One of my 3x great grandparents married on the 20th Nov and their son was born on the 27th. cutting it fine as well. Another set of 3gs waited six weeks after the baptism of their first child.

A lot of them seemed to wait until they were pregnant before they married - was that to do wiith their domestic situations ? Maybe the girls had to keep working until their pregnancy was obvious, so then they got married.

And I also have some babies who were baptised on the day their mothers were buried - it seems such a sad thing to have to do.
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                      A lot of them seemed to wait until they were pregnant before they married - was that to do wiith their domestic situations ? Maybe the girls had to keep working until their pregnancy was obvious, so then they got married.
                      Could be, I hadn't thought of that.

A friend of mine from central Italy told me that in her grandparents' time it was usual to wait until you'd had a couple of children before getting married, to see if the relationship had "taken".

Comment

my grandad was born two weeks after his parents married, they were age 19 and 23, and got married in church (in 1894) - she can't possibly have found a dress that hid a bump that size (-:
                        Also my great grandparents (not the same side of the family) didn't get married until they already had 5 children (-:

Denise

Comment

One of my GGGgrandparents were married 1 month before their son was born - nothing that unusual in that. However the groom was 18 and the bride was 41, 4 years older that her Father-in-law. I wonder what the atmosphere was like at that wedding!
                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I for one am very grateful for the tradition of baptising over the dead mother's coffin.

If mine hadn't done it, I wouldn't have known that wife number 1, Esther Hunt had died giving birth to Timothy and that the grieving widower had married Esther Kirkham as wife number two! (Lots of people following this family have missed the second marriage and have assumed all eleven children are those of Esther Hunt. As you reasonably would, I suppose).

OC

Comment

reminds me of that 'promise' someone posted on here a while ago, about a man saying all the things he would do to make life difficult for researchers! like 'when my wife mary dies, i promise to another mary'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                Could be, I hadn't thought of that.

A friend of mine from central Italy told me that in her grandparents' time it was usual to wait until you'd had a couple of children before getting married, to see if the relationship had "taken".
                                So nothing new in modern day practises where they wait until the daughters are old enough to be bridesmaids!!

Margaret

Comment

Margaret

I think it was also common in rural communities in Britain upto the 1900s to see if the potential bride could produce a son before marriage was offered.

there's also the question of accommodation - if you were poor and both sets of parents had umpteen kids and a one up one down cottage, where were the newly-weds to live? Thewy often had to wait till suitable accommodation came up and often had to wait for a lull in the workload in order to take a half day off work to be married.

OC

Comment

My grandparents were married on the 20th July 1899 and their eldest daughter was born on the 23rd July, 1899. Now that was cutting it tight.
                                    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

my maternal g grandparents married 6 years after the birth of their first child, maybe she thought her first husband might object as he was still alive

Comment

Working...
                                      X