Civil parish: Lincoln St Swithin
    County/Island: Lincolnshire

Source information: HO107/2105

Possible marriage from freebmd

Marriages Jun 1852 (>99%)
    Ellis George Newark 7b 460
    Goulson Elizabeth Newark 7b 460
    Hunt Thomas Wilde Newark 7b 460

Can anyone find the correct spouse and couple in later census please?

There is an Elizabeth Goulson/Henry Wileman marriage in Newark during the 1850's but I have her pinned down (it's a different girl).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I was going to indicate surprise that you hadn't made use of the Lincs FHS marriage transcriptions, but I've had a look at the Newark one and it doesn't seem to include these marriages. That suggests that they were either at the register office or could have been somewhere else not in the C of E churches in the District.

Is there anything in http://www.lincstothepast.com/ ?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lincstothepast doesn't have much indexed in the name, my Newark RD marriage list doesn't have any entries with a bride with the surname.

Elizabeth is the only one of a large family group I haven't traced through to a death entry and the only entries in the bmd for the region match existing members of my tree.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I think Thomas Wilde Hunt married Mary Ann Gill. Her page number has been wrongly transcribed as 461 so therefore Elizabeth Goulson must have married George Ellis although I haven't found them in a later census.
        Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie, there isn't anything coming up on the IGI either so I'm stumped.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Ha, think I've got the marriage, news article result from a search, but as yet not downloaded

“ abeth Goulson. At Newark, on the 17th instant, Mr. Thomas Wild Hunt to Miss Mary Ann Gill; Mr. Geo. Brown to Miss Cbarlytte Bettison ; and Mr. John Spick to Miss ... ?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There's a George & Elizabeth Ellis in Swinstead Lincs in 1861 but Elizabeth's age has been mistranscribed and the image shows she was born in 1835, not 1825 as indexed. Didn't think they were yours as they had one child, in 1861, 5 months old.
              Think this will be THEIR marriage - sorry
              George Ellis & Elizabeth Bray marr Boston 1857

Jay

ETA - has your download come through? You were correct in the pairing - the event was on the 15th.
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-07-12, 15:18.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                There's a George & Elizabeth Ellis in Swinstead Lincs in 1861 but Elizabeth's age has been mistranscribed and the image shows she was born in 1835, not 1825 as indexed. Didn't think they were yours as they had one child, in 1861, 5 months old.
                Think this will be THEIR marriage - sorry
                George Ellis & Elizabeth Bray marr Boston 1857

Jay

ETA - has your download come through? You were correct in the pairing - the event was on the 15th.
                Wesleyan Chapel at Newark on the 15th.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

From Notts Marriage Index -

George Ellis and Elizabeth Goulson married 15/05/1852, Newark, St Mary Magdalene.
                  AUDREY

Comment

There are a couple of George Ellis deaths in Newark and a possible remarriage for Elizabeth, found the marriage listed in the newspaper archive;

Feb 4th 1859, Robert Atkinson to Elizabeth Ellis. Maybe that explains why Elizabeth doesn't appear in the '61 census based on the details available?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

You can find Newark burials here:

Comment

1861 census

William Atkinson, head, 42, millwright, born Lincoln
                        Elizabeth Atkinson, wife, 44, born Knipton, Leics.

living at 13 King Street, Newark.

Comment

If she remained in Newark then this may be her death registration though the age is slightly off;

Deaths Mar 1903 (>99%)
                          Atkinson Elizabeth 81 Newark 7b 279

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

In 1891 there's an Elizabeth Atkinson, widow, 75? (hard to read), no occupation listed, born Knipton, living in Woolsthorpe, Lincs with her cousin Martha A Griffith, 65, widow, sub-postmistress, born Woolsthorpe and Martha's granddaughter Frances A Poole, 19, pupil teacher, born India.

Can't see her in 1901.
                            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 23-07-12, 13:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                              In 1891 there's an Elizabeth Atkinson, widow, 75? (hard to read), no occupation listed, born Knipton, living in Woolsthorpe, Lincs with her cousin Martha A Griffith, 65, widow, sub-postmistress, born Woolsthorpe and Martha's granddaughter Frances A Poole, 19, pupil teacher, born India.

Can't see her in 1901.
                              Interesting as Woolsthorpe also relates to other Goulson family, as yet I haven't looked beyond Notts for a death so Lincs may come into the picture once again.

Thanks for the posting the details.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I think Martha was originally Martha Dodson; 1st husband Henry Horsewood, 2nd husband? (no marriage found) John Griffiths. I haven't worked out how she came to be Elizabeth Goulson's cousin, though. Frances was the child of her daughter Sarah Ann Poole née Horsewood.
                                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 23-07-12, 21:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                  1861 census

William Atkinson, head, 42, millwright, born Lincoln
                                  Elizabeth Atkinson, wife, 44, born Knipton, Leics.

living at 13 King Street, Newark.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=23897839
                                  Oops, I'm afraid I've been leading you astray - I've found that couple already together in 1851, and I've just realised that your Elizabeth married a Robert, not a William.

There's a possible marriage for a William Atkinson and Elizabeth Dodson in 1849, and looking at the censuses, I think Elizabeth is related to Martha Griffiths née Dodson, although it isn't clear exactly how from the 1841 census, which rules out her being your Elizabeth Goulson.

Sorry about that.
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 23-07-12, 21:53.

Comment

No problem, just as well to discount one as add one when all is said and done, I'm not helping myself by diving through the news archives either, for a relatively rare surname the Goulson family sure hit the printers on a regular basis.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                    X