Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmer William Bell

Hi
    I am researching William Bell and his wife Sarah their children are Sarah,Mary,Henry and James they lived in the area Dungog county of Durham in 1853, William occupation was a farmer possible had some connection to the Australian Agriclutural Company,if anyone can help in finding where William farm was in Dungog in 1853 I would appreciate their assistance
    ossiegirl
    Last edited by ossiegirl; 04-08-12, 04:22.

Dungog in Australia?

Comment

Hi Dungog is a town in the Lower Hunter Valley, Gee Im an Aussie and never heard of it till now.
      So was William married to Sarah Drake, have I got the right one?please Liz

Comment

I am not sure if William was married to Sarah Drake, I am trying to find that out, and I don't know if they were born in Australia or not

Comment

I know their son Henry was born in Australia at Dungog about 1849
          Last edited by ossiegirl; 22-07-12, 07:47.

Comment

Let me go have a look then,Liz

Comment

Henry Bell was born 1853, Dungog,Eldon, Uffington, NSW. Liz

Comment

Could not work out wh all children were born 1853 apart from James 1863 ,but found it, Sarah, Mary and Henry Bell baptized 1853 at Australian Agricultral Company. Dungog,Eldon. So it looks like the children could have been born before 1853, they were Church of England. So will do a search for you before 1853, Liz

Comment

Had a look at a book called Pure Merino etc it had a Passenger List he does not appear on it,also I do not believe now doing some research the he did not married Sarah Drake as she goes on and has 21 children, maybe you could write to the Australian Agricultal Company not sure. Liz

Comment

do you think William could have married Sarah Grace Levin in 1856

Comment

I will go and have a look for you I did look at that, Liz

Comment

I believe Sarah Junior possible died in West Maitland aged 11yrs in 1862 no parents names, and Mary may have married George Relf in 1862 Telegherry Port Stephen, if I purchased Certificates I don't think they would tell me anything about William and Sarah.
                        Last edited by ossiegirl; 23-07-12, 00:16.

Comment

Hi had a look at death of Sarah Bells death wrong parents, so thats not her.
                          Next Mary Bell marrying George Relf 1862 this Mary was born in Nottingham 1842 still not the right parents. I would not waste your money, as there is a Coroners Inquest into Mary's Death and lots of detail definitly not your Mary.
                          Now we are missing something here, trying to get my head around it.
                          3 children from this couple all Baptised the same day 1853 which has been recorded as the Birth Date on all sites. so birth has to be before that, or with in a few years. I will keep looking for you.
                          Sarah Grace Levin married William Bell 1856 still not your William. Will start looking at other states and Immigration again, Liz

Comment

On the nSW BDMs there is a Henry Bell 'born' 1848 with parents William and Sarah and another 'born' 1853.

These could well be the same Henrys. Often the minister only came around every so often and children were baptised in bulk. Then the baptisms were recorded and birth year may also be recorded so you get two records on the index. I don't have my AVRI CDs with me so can't check if there is any more info.

You'll find records on the index for Sarah, Mary and Henry Bell, all children od William and Sarah either born or bap 1853. Then you will also find records for Sarah 1847, Mary 1849, Henry 1848 and James 1849 as well. They could well be the same people.

Lots of mine are like this and all around the Hunter/ Maitland region. I'll see what else i can dig up.

Comment

William Bell married Sarah Drake in 1832. There are quite a few trees on Ancetsry with this family.

Comment

Civil Registration did not start until 1856 in NSW. The very clever BDM Registry then gathered up all the Church registers in NSW and used them as basic registration details. And so they created an index registration number of the year of the baptism, not the year of birth. It can be quite a trap. I once found some baptisms for children born before the family left Bristol, but they were all registered in the one year of their baptisms in NSW.

I think, but I am not sure, there is some information from the Australian Agricultural Co at NSW State Records and NSW State Library.

Di
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia
                                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks for explaining that better than I did Dicole.

I found out about that when I looked for my James Burrows. He was born and reg James Lewis, 1838 in Wales, the illigitimate son of Mary Lewis.

Mary then married Charles Burrows and came to Aus where James was baptised along with his sister Jane in 1850. I thought the 1838 must have died and an older brother took the name. At that stage he was James Lewis Burrows. I had no idea he just assumed the name of his step-father.

So on the NSW index there is a 1838 record for James Borrows and an 1850 one. Both are for the same boy.

Also, in his wisdom, one of the Qld registrars gathered up a lot of those who died in WW1 and registered the deaths in Qld....many years after WW1.

Comment

Hi been searching I think you need to get a copy of NSW Pioneers 1788-1888, I believe that will hold your answers, you can read it on line if you have a Libary Card for NSW, Liz

Comment

Hi
                                      I don't have a NSW Library card, I will try to get my hands on a copy of the NSW Pioneers 1788-1888 Thank you to all that have work on my research I appreciate the time you have given to help me
                                      ossiegirl

Comment

Hi Ossiegirl, I was so pleased I could help you, thats what Family Tree Forum is all about.
                                        You can apply for a NSW Library Card but I would ring them first to see if you can do that being in Queensland.
                                        Had a look for the NSW Pioneers Index 1788-1888 its a bout $290.00 wee bit expensive I feel.
                                        So will go on a search and see if anyone has one and prepared to have a look for you, Liz

Comment

Working...
                                        X