• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading birthplace 1861 census

Hi Again,

Can anyone make out Thomas Arnold´s birthplace on the census

Stlny??

Thanks!

The first word appears to be the county. Surrey (see others below) and the rest appears to be a repeat of the 'Ecclesiastical District' in the box above,
    S

Comment

If you look at some of the siblings dittoed below, they're born in Newington and Bermondsey, which are in Surrey.

And if you look at George Edwards further down the page, he was born in St. George, South(wark), Surrey, which I think is what your Thomas's birthplace is supposed to be.

Comment

Sorry, couldn't get the link to work unless I subscribed to Ancestry.com!!!

Have only got Ancestry.co.uk

Lesley

Comment

You can just change the URL from .com to .co.uk to make it work.

Comment

yes agree its St George's Southwark

Comment

It looks quite like the info in the top right corner - i.e. Surrey ~ St George Southwark.

I seem to have forgotten this and left it unposted - sorry! Just got back to the computer after watching Henry V on BBC2

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if the baptismal records from St. George 1850-1860 are online?

Comment

Originally posted by serdmann View Post
                  Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if the baptismal records from St. George 1850-1860 are online?
                  I haven't checked, but they are of the location and date which could be amongst the LMA records on Ancestry.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

They are there, but I've done a search, and I can't find any baptism for Thomas, or for any Arnold child with parents Benjamin and Elizabeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      They are there, but I've done a search, and I can't find any baptism for Thomas, or for any Arnold child with parents Benjamin and Elizabeth.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...d=0%3a7858%3a0
                      Have you allowed for mistranscriptions? "rn" can look like "m" for example!

Christine

Comment

Just had a look for myself, and can't see anything obvious - or not at St George's, anyway.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          Have you allowed for mistranscriptions? "rn" can look like "m" for example!
                          Yes, I did a wildcard search.

Of course, even if they lived in St. George's parish, they could have had the children baptised somewhere else, but I haven't found a baptism elswhere either, so it presumably took place in a parish not covered by the LMA records on Ancestry.

Comment

Frustrating! All you can do is to hope for them to turn up somehow - perhaps someone spots an error/omission and submits a correction.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                              You can just change the URL from .com to .co.uk to make it work.
                              How do I do that then Mary? Tried to change it .com to .co.uk but no luck!

Probably me being thick!!
                              Lesley

Comment

It should work if you just change the address in your browser (I sometimes have have to do this when people post links to ancestry.com.au), but I've just realised that the .com address worked for me, even though I have the UK sub, so I don't know what the problem is, sorry.

Comment

Thanks so much for checking for me. It is very frustrating because I also haven´t found any baptismal record for any of the recorded children - or any other children who might not have lived for a census (Elizabeth and Benjamin were married a while before Thomas´birth). Benjamin and Elizabeth were married at St. Lukes - but I don´t know any real reason they would have had an enduring tie to the church since neither were originally from London. The fact that none of the children - Thomas, John or Amelia - appear seems more than a coincidence or mistake of spelling?

Comment

could very well be sitting in plain site. my 3rd great grandmother was a powton, and her bap was missing from knayton parish registers in yorks. but half her sibs were there, before and after her birth. one day i got frustrated and just did a search on a forename in the batch number. found her under 'poulton' along with all the missing siblings!!

Comment

We'd have to start looking for variants of "ARNOLD". Probably easier to look for "ARN*"

Christine

Comment

Thanks Kyle and Christine. I just looked through the complete baptismal records for St. George 1851 without luck but I did notice that many, many people baptised their children in batches - they would take the latest child in to be baptised and do all the earlier kids as well. The last child, Amelia was handicapped and I might check the records to see if they rushed her (and the others) to baptism. The mother Elizabeth, died in 1861 after being sick for years and it is just possible none of them were baptised.
                                        Last edited by serdmann; 24-07-12, 09:37.

Comment

Working...
                                        X