Clark 1871 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark 1871 census

The Clarks are my brick-wall, have found a William Clark on 1871 census (Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 604; Folio: 83; Page: 13; GSU roll: 818909.) but can find no other trace of them.
    Reason am so interested is my grandfather and grt grandfather both were horse flesh sellers at 9 Friars Place Southwark, now that William is shown as living 31 Little Surrey St, found a map that shows this street runs into Friars Place and both very small, talking yards not miles, was also a horse flesh seller, know its possible to be a coincidence, but would think unlikely.
    Have asked for help before with regard to Clarks, but it is driving me mad, if any can find anything about that William would be very grateful.

Piece: 332 Folio: 41 Page: 33

3, Bond Street, St George Southwark

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post

Piece: 332 Folio: 41 Page: 33

3, Bond Street, St George Southwark
      Thanks for that, had seen it before but but this time did a check and Bond St became Kell St later and my Clarks did live in Kell St, at one point so good chance a connection

Comment

Horse flesh

Originally posted by mikeg13 View Post
        The Clarks are my brick-wall, have found a William Clark on 1871 census (Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 604; Folio: 83; Page: 13; GSU roll: 818909.) but can find no other trace of them.
        Reason am so interested is my grandfather and grt grandfather both were horse flesh sellers at 9 Friars Place Southwark, now that William is shown as living 31 Little Surrey St, found a map that shows this street runs into Friars Place and both very small, talking yards not miles, was also a horse flesh seller, know its possible to be a coincidence, but would think unlikely.
        Have asked for help before with regard to Clarks, but it is driving me mad, if any can find anything about that William would be very grateful.
        Hi, just joined after seeing your post. My GG grandfather lived just round the corner in Gun Street. His profession: horse slaughterer. Possible supplier for your grandfather/ gt grandfather?

Comment

Sadly no further forward with my search, if you come across anything be very grateful, strange thing is when started did think this part of tree would be easy to track, not to be

Comment

what exactly are you looking for Mike ?

Comment

Thanks but do have that record, what dont have is any link to my Clarks, other than at one point lived very close to Mums family home and in one census sold cats meat. Its my great grand father james am stuck on, have marriage cert shows father as a William, have a census record that seems to show him staying with a sister Harriet(1871), sent away for fair few birth cirts but none so far correct for one reason or another. Depending on which census or death cirt you use born 1845/1848

Comment

that 1861 Jane gave you does look like them

Comment

when and where was james born do you have any idea?

Comment

St George Southwark between 1845 and 1848, the latter if death cirt correct, pretty sure he had a older sister Harriet Ann who married a James Lord but can not find a marriage for them. Reason think sister is addy given in 1871 (that makes birth poss 1845) census is same as one on one of James baptism records for one his children

Comment

mike,

what info do you have as fact 100% that you can begin to build upon, regarding his [James'] birth certificate, it may well be that his birth was never registered and he just had a baptism.

I spent some time yesterday trying to find some information but, without any specifics I soon got rather bogged down with Clarks!.. [I did find the marriage where he listed his father as dead, but, didn't save it as I presumed you had this information]
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have marriage cirt, death cirt, 1881 census, 1891 census, 1901 census as well as 1871 census that shows a James Clark living with a married sister, the address is same as address on baptism record of one of James children, another James in 1875. Am 100% sure that census record between 1881 to death in 1901 are correct due to address and fairly sure 1871 is probably correct as well. Its where to go from there no idea, it is very frustrating. What makes it more a puzzle is that James is shown as St. George Southwark in most of census records or Southwark in 1871, while who I think is sister shown as St George London (that could refer to one in East London)

Comment

1881 census record shows James as a Boot Mender, but no profession for William. Was he the horse flesh vendor? You could try looking in the different directories for professions and/ or Post Office Directory ie for any professions you have (horse flesh vendor = butcher?) (boot repairer = cordwainer? etc)

Comment

Hello

I have been looking at this. I note the

1871 Census with William as a Horse Flesh Dealer aged 32 b Southwark St George
                            Minnie aged 31 b Greenwich, Kent
                            James aged 13 b 1858 Southwark
                            Charles aged 1
                            William aged 6
                            Minnie aged 4
                            Elizabeth aged 1

family living at ? Little Surrey Street

That would make James aged 16 at the time of his marriage. (if this is the correct marriage)

in 1874 at St John's Waterloo Road

to Fanny Berry
                            both were of full age so maybe James was underage.
                            James occupation General Dealer and
                            father William (dec)

I note also there is a death cert for James for 1901 which gives age of 53 ie born 1848.

Bear with me here. Why do you think that James father William dealt in animal meat? There is another James with father William, dob 1844 Southwark but his father is a Baker.

I have tried to find the James who was living with his married sister but no success. Can you put up where you found this.

There is a James aged 13 living as brother to head of family Joseph and his children Ellen 12 and Harriet 6 but can't see that address matches the one on James son baptised in 1875.

There is also an incarcerated James in 1871 but he is aged 20 at the time, born Southwark St George
                            Last edited by vera2013; 15-11-13, 09:57.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                              Hello

I note also there is a death cert for James for 1901 which gives age of 53 ie born 1848.

Bear with me here. Why do you think that James father William dealt in animal meat? There is another James with father William, dob 1844 Southwark but his father is a Baker.

I have tried to find the James who was living with his married sister but no success. Can you put up where you found this.

There is a James aged 13 living as brother to head of family Joseph and his children Ellen 12 and Harriet 6 but can't see that address matches the one on James son baptised in 1875.

There is also an incarcerated James in 1871 but he is aged 20 at the time, born Southwark St George
                              Have no idea what James Father had as a job, what do know is my grandfather and great grandfather sold horse meat, do have the 1901 death cirt. as well as marriage cirt for James to Fanny. 1871 census (Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 649; Folio: 58; Page: 18; GSU roll: 818939.) has a James with a sister address given is found on a baptism record for one of James children so pretty sure there is a connection. Its a birth for James and a conformation of his father cant find, know it says William on marriage cirt, but have more than one cirt when it was very economic with the truth when it came to fathers name or alive or dead

Comment

Working...
                              X