Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking William Henry Hudson, disappeared after 1901 census, a mystery!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking William Henry Hudson, disappeared after 1901 census, a mystery!!

Hello everyone - I have a mystery!
    Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Hughes) Hudson, gave birth to William Henry Hudson in Jan 1/4 1870 in Sheffield. In the 1871 he lived in Brightside Bierlow and in 1881 in Ecclesall Bierlow. By 1897 he lived in Birmingham and married Alice Isabel Knight Sept 1/4, in Kings Norton (but was down as Henry William!!).
    By the 1901 Census he is living in Birmingham, as William Henry, with Alice and two children Henry William, known as Harry and Hubert and was a tube maker. Alice died in 1904. The two children by the 1911 census are 'farmed out' - one with an Uncle, one with the maternal grandfather - but what happended to their father William Henry?? The obvious idea is he died, but I can't find a record at that time or into the future - any help most gratefully accepted... I wonder if he disappeared into the Army with WW1 looming? The family legend is that Harry was an orphan, which suggested his father had died, but did he just leave, if so where did he go?
    Many thanks for reading this,
    Rachel

Have you tried the local BMD sites as well as FreeBMD?

There's a William HUDSON who died in the Cheadle (Staffs) area aged 30 in 1901.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Christine
      Thank you, I will have a look.
      Rachel

Comment

Hi Rachel.
        I believe William Henry's brother is my great-grandfather Thomas George Hudson. I think I've found them on the 1891 census, using middle names.
        The Hudson's don't seem to like registration of any kind!
        Do you have any more information about the family?
        Regards.
        Andrea

Comment

Do you have the death certificate for Alice? It may say 'widow of'. Or it may give William as the informant. Either way, it would be worth checking.

Comment

Working...
          X