Non conformist registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non conformist registers

I know that you can look at these online via BMD Registers site, but can you purchase the cd's anywhere at all?

have a couple of queries that I'd like to have a look at.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Julie

I think you would need to google for the specific church to find out if there are cds available. "Non conformist" covers every church/chapel which isn't C of E, so it's unlikely they'll ALL be on one CD.

OC

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, I guess it'd be abit like the parish register cds I have then, for a specific place..
      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        Thanks OC, I guess it'd be abit like the parish register cds I have then, for a specific place..
        The thing I found with non con records was that they weren't necessarily in the place or at the time you'de expect because the officials travelled about to do registers etc. so it may have been a while before an event was noted or maybe even a different place.

Margaret

Comment

Yes, I have found the same as Margaret. Methodist Circuit registers from the late 1600s, early 1700s, could cover several counties.

I found a missing baptism recorded in the circuit registers (which have been wrongly labelled as the records of a particular chapel in Yorkshire) for a man who I know would have been baptised in his own home in Lancashire when the circuit minister visited this particular village (several baptised the same day, then the minister moved on to the next village and so on).

You sometimes have to cast your net very wide when looking for noncon events.

OC

Comment

that's a very interesting point oc. i have non cons, methodists from yorks and have wondered.

Comment

Same with Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire Circuits too. Also many of the chapels which were in existence have long gone ... and I don't mean they have recently been turned into houses. The chapel in Bedfordshire where my rellies married cannot now be identified except by the name of the part of the village it was in.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Yes, I have found the same as Margaret. Methodist Circuit registers from the late 1600s, early 1700s, could cover several counties.

I found a missing baptism recorded in the circuit registers (which have been wrongly labelled as the records of a particular chapel in Yorkshire) for a man who I know would have been baptised in his own home in Lancashire when the circuit minister visited this particular village (several baptised the same day, then the minister moved on to the next village and so on).

You sometimes have to cast your net very wide when looking for noncon events.

OC
                I have found two children that were baptised in Derbyshire, but, also it shows them as being bapt in Leicestershire too, [Granted the places in question are not that far apart, but, struck me as odd that they were both recorded as being bapt in both places...]

I don't suppose that there is any way of narrowing the search results down any?? I mean for say the 'set' RG4_0696
                Julie

Comment

The Dr Williams Library in London may be able to help you with your queries.

Janet

Comment

You have to do a bit of detective work and try to identify the "mother" chapel. Mine were baptised in Lancashire but recorded in Yorkshire, presumably because that was where the travelling minister lived, or where his headquarters were.

So what you are looking at is very possibly the same event, which took place in Derbyshire but was recorded in the registers held at Leicestershire.

I know when I looked at the register and FINALLY read all the opening blurb (instead of just diving in to find the baptisms)it stated that the register was a collection of baptisms performed by a travelling minister on his circuit - which covered three counties, Lancashire, Yorkshire and Westmorland. There was no local recording of the event because there were no legitimate chapels in the area, as Anne describes above.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                      The Dr Williams Library in London may be able to help you with your queries.

Janet
                      ah. thanks Janet, I'll have a read of that, and see if I can glean any extra info. :smilee:

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      You have to do a bit of detective work and try to identify the "mother" chapel. Mine were baptised in Lancashire but recorded in Yorkshire, presumably because that was where the travelling minister lived, or where his headquarters were.

So what you are looking at is very possibly the same event, which took place in Derbyshire but was recorded in the registers held at Leicestershire.

I know when I looked at the register and FINALLY read all the opening blurb (instead of just diving in to find the baptisms)it stated that the register was a collection of baptisms performed by a travelling minister on his circuit - which covered three counties, Lancashire, Yorkshire and Westmorland. There was no local recording of the event because there were no legitimate chapels in the area, as Anne describes above.

OC
                      I have this OC, just states when and where he was bapt, but on LDS I have found that he is said to be bapt at Whitwick..

Julie

Comment

It might be worth getting a sub to the Genealogist, which I believe has the Non-Con registers that are on the BMDRegisters site.

Comment

Does the image in #11 come from BMDRegisters? It doesn't say on the actual image that you posted where he was baptised.

I've just had a look at the BMDRegisters index, and the only Edward Holmes baptised in 1810 is listed as baptised in Leicestershire, not Derbyshire.

Smisby's a very small place, so it may not have had its own chapel or meeting house.

Comment

Oooh, I'm getting VERY CROSS!

I have attempted to find out the title of RG 4 0696. The TNA won't allow me to search for this register (invalid search term) and as for Familysearch...what have they done with the library catalogue? Where has it gone???? It was such a useful resource, I can't believe they've withdrawn it.

EDIT - no they haven't, I was looking in the wrong place, blush blush. However you can no longer search using a register number.

OC
                            Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 21-07-12, 21:38.

Comment

I bought a sub to The Genealogist ages ago to get all my non-con records. the images are often beautiful with full lists of witnesses for briths and signatures. Some are just the hand written lists. It is a much cheaper way of doing it than buying each one fro the BMD reg site. The sub also lets you download wills, so I've really got my moneys worth.

I know alot of people bag the site, but it's my favourite and I've had Ancestry and FMP to compare.

Comment

Just to add.................I've found very many non-con baptisms away from the parents parish.

Comment

I've just realised that if you click on the RG4 0887 link alongside Edward Holmes on BMDRegisters, it says "887: Register of Births and Baptisms at the Primitive Methodist Chapel of Whitwick, Leicestershire from 1797 to 1821".

So FamilySearch is correct.
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-07-12, 21:55.

Comment

Oh, well done Mary! Can you also find RG4 - 0696, please? Just to see how it is headed.

OC

Comment

I haven't found a way of searching for RG4 numbers on TNA either - do you know which county it's likely to be in? I may be able to find it that way.
                                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-07-12, 22:43.

Comment

Hmm. I thought I'd found a way of doing it, but it doesn't always work.

If you go to the TNA catalogue search:

and put the county in the Word or phrase box and RG4 in the Department or Series code box, that brings up a list of RG4 documents for that county.

Alternatively, you can put the name of a town in the Word or phrase box.

However, it didn't bring up everything for Whitwick (it brought up a different RG4 number with later baptisms), and when I searched for Leicestershire, the Whitwick RG4 0887 baptisms didn't appear, so they presumably aren't indexed in the Catalogue (which I had wrongly assumed was comprehensive).

However, if you can find the event you're interested in on the BMDRegisters site, you can click on the RG number to find out how it's headed.
                                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-07-12, 22:52.

Comment

Working...
                                        X