Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Findmypast.com subscription (worldwide) - SPECIAL OFFER! - update #23

Might be of interest to some of you.

Findmypast.com have an introductory offer for the worldwide site - click here

It appears that you need to register even if you have already registered on the UK site - although I was able to register with the same details (email & password).

The Pioneer offer that they are advertising is 59.40 US dollars for one year - equates to less than £40 - and according to their information includes US, Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh, Australian and New Zealand data.
    I am not sure that there is any way you can convert an existing UK sub over to the FMP worldwide one. I have less than 2 months to run on my UK subscription so am happy to forfeit that to get an annual sub which covers everything for less than half the price the UK renewal would be.

I've paid my money and can view all records - obviously you are going to need to refine searches a bit more than usual, as there are so many collections included, but I am sure as we use it then we'll get the hang of the best way to search.

A great opportunity - time to treat yourself! :D
    Elaine

Been having a play with it!
    Just a warning that at the moment I am not sure if it would replace a UK sub. I've done a couple of test searches and the worldwide site is not providing images to things such as military records - I am just getting a transcription. It does say that the site is in beta format so these might come in due course.
    Elaine

Comment

Just an idea of normal costs (based on an annual subscription)

FMP Ireland 59.95 euros
      FMP Australia & New Zealand - 224.96 Australian dollards
      FMP UK - £109.95

I am not sure what the normal rate for FMP world is going to be - so of course remember to cancel at the end of the 12 months if you don't want to continue with it.
      Elaine

Comment

that's very interesting elaine. i think the irish site is supposed to get really good, but i don't know how much use it will be, unless they are allowed to scan the microfiche of parish registers at the national library in ireland.

would be interesting to see how it all is.

Comment

Here is an excerpt from the email I got a couple of days ago. I'm not a subscriber but am registered with FMP.
          Until Thursday 26 July
          2012, you get 10% off
          any of our subscriptions
          . When you choose our Full
          subscription, you'll get a
          year of investigating your past
          for only £99. That's just £1.90 a week for
          unlimited access to all our records.

When you subscribe, enter this code to claim your 10% off: TORCH. This offer ends
          at midnight on Thursday
          26 July
          so you don't have long to take advantage of this
          reduced price!
          I've just renewed my Ancestry sub so won't be taking advantage of this, but it sounds pretty reasonable.

Comment

Great tip Elaine, I've missed having FMP over the last 12 months, as it's a great add-on to Ancestry. This offer was too good to miss.
            Many thanks.
            ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Elaine,
              I can't work out the 40 pounds sub bit as the offer I had yesterday was for 99 pounds, for the pioneer sub. Not worth it in my opinion.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I signed up when Elaine first mentioned it & was a bit disappointed that the 'military' was only transcriptions but have been on today & the images are now there.
                Glen

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                  Elaine,
                  I can't work out the 40 pounds sub bit as the offer I had yesterday was for 99 pounds, for the pioneer sub. Not worth it in my opinion.
                  Sorry, just seen your message. Haven't been online much over the last couple of weeks as the grandchildren have been here!
                  The sub I mentioned in the first post still seems to be available -

The £99 sub sounds like an offer or renewal for Findmypast.co.uk rather than the worldwide subscription.

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                  I signed up when Elaine first mentioned it & was a bit disappointed that the 'military' was only transcriptions but have been on today & the images are now there.
                  That's good news Glen. I noticed originally that images were not available for some of the databases - will have to have another look!
                  Elaine

Comment

I've certainly found the FMP.com search much more clunky to use. I shall tend to use my leftover UK sub for UK searches, for the time being, until it runs out (another couple of months, like yours, Elaine). I feel that it's good value for what it is, but shall wait and see whether it's worth the extra for a long term sub. I don't feel too concerned about losing my "loyalty" bonus for FMP.co.uk: it's no different from the regular promotional offers that come up from time to time.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      I've certainly found the FMP.com search much more clunky to use. I shall tend to use my leftover UK sub for UK searches
                      ditto!
                      Elaine

Comment

My UK sub was due to be renewd so I got the World one. I bought it in US$ as it was much much cheaper than Australian.

Comment

Thanks Elaine. My FMP sub was ending in a couple of weeks and wasn't intending to renew as prefer to use Ancestry for most things. However, for that price FMP is ok as a back stop. Used the same personal details and had no problems. Remember to "turn off" the auto renewal!

Comment

The FMP World edition does not yet include all the UK data, although there are plans to include all the UK data.

Comment

Here is the body of an email I received today. It explains what they're up to.
                              We've got some excellent news for all our users in the US: we've launched findmypast.com, a genealogy website specially tailored for US family historians.

Findmypast.com allows you to search US record collections, as well as records for the UK, Ireland and Australia – all in one place.

To celebrate the launch of findmypast.com, we're offering you a special introductory price, for a limited period only: our 76% Pioneer discount!

A 12 month subscription to findmypast.com usually costs $20.83 a month but we're offering it to you for just $4.95 a month. This fantastic Pioneer discount offer won't last long, so make sure you take advantage now!

Why choose findmypast.com?
                              Records tailored to US family history research
                              Millions of additional records for the UK, Ireland and Australia – which go back as far as 1200 – included in your subscription
                              New US and overseas records added every month. These are automatically included in your subscription so it increases in value all the time
                              Records for Canada coming very soon
                              You get the benefit of our local expertise
                              I have a question for you folks who have used FMP. I've just renewed my Ancestry sub for a year so I don't need this, but for $60/year, is it worth getting it solely for data which Ancestry does not have? My research is primarily Canada and UK, and I see they say they will have Canadian records soon.

Since I'm asking questions, do any of the genealogy companies have much/any data from Central Europe--Poland, Austria, Galicia?

Comment

i think familysearch is the best option for europe outside the UK. they have been adding a lot for italy, spain and portugal recently. there are some records for poland there too, but googling the town you want will let you know who has the records, and if the mormons have filmed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
                                  I have a question for you folks who have used FMP. I've just renewed my Ancestry sub for a year so I don't need this, but for $60/year, is it worth getting it solely for data which Ancestry does not have? My research is primarily Canada and UK, and I see they say they will have Canadian records soon.
                                  I suppose it depends where your UK research is centred. They have a number of parish register collections which are invaluable if your ancestors come from those areas and of course like most sites are adding new things all the time.
                                  Elaine

Comment

That's a good point Elaine. I haven't yet sorted which parish records are best reflected on Ancestry & which aren't. Most of the English family came from Lambeth, Surrey or the Plymtree/Uplowman/North Molton areas of Devon. I think Ancestry is pretty good for the Surrey area, but not so good for Devon. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Findmypast have just added parish registers from the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office - not sure if that covers the areas you need - possibly not.

It's just a matter of keeping a close eye on all these sorts of sites to see what is being added, but of course the offer from FMP is not likely to be around for too long!
                                      Elaine

Comment

This might seem a stupid question, but does this include findmypast.ie the irish part of find my past or is this a seperate subscription, thanks.

on looking at it, it looks to be two separate websites?
                                        Last edited by Paulc; 25-08-12, 01:43.
                                        My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X