Scotlands people - census images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotlands people - census images

Do the images of censuses on Scotlands People show the marriage situation of people. I have Helen Stewart b 1812 in Dunnet, Caithness on the 1851, and would like to know if she is a widow - I can not find her husband James anywhere. the transcription on Ancestry is here:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=try&h=121070 (I think they have mistranscribed her age).

According to some online trees James died before 1865 in Glasgow, and I am trying to track his death, in the hope of finding his parents names.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

burials before 1855 are generally not recorded, especially in the highlands. if you have a query with ancestry's accuracy, i'd get the image on scotlandspeople.

Comment

Hi
      He doesn't appear to be with her in 1841 either although she does have a 9 year old daughter in 1851 which suggests that he was still around somewhere in 1841.
      Their marriage (1831) is too early to give parent's details.
      Moggie

Comment

Thanks Kyle and Moggie - I had a quick go on Scotlandspeople - that website and I don't get on. As well as the Ancestry entry I mentioned above, I found this on Family Search:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VYYL-169

which matches up with her, but I cannot find anything for a Helen Stewart in the 1851 in Caithness, let alone Dunnet on the SP search site - where am I going wrong!

I have already got a copy of the marriage details, but as you say Moggie, nothing on there to help.
        Linda

Comment

which matches up with her, but I cannot find anything for a Helen Stewart in the 1851 in Caithness, let alone Dunnet on the SP search site - where am I going wrong!

Hi
          I don't think you are doing anything wrong, it's just not showing up. I've put in the names & ages of the other people in the house with zero results.
          Moggie

Comment

i'd email scotlandspeople and see if they are missing the image.

Comment

I've sent them an e-mail, but on checking it looks as though they have nothing for Dunnet at all in 1851, but the records must have been available if both Ancestry and FS have transcriptions of them. Thanks for your help
              Linda

Comment

Just received an answer, saying that they don't know why it's not showing up, and sending me a copy of the image. Very happy with this outcome, plus it has Helen down as a widow, which narrows down James death for me nicely :D
                Linda

Comment

They are always quick and very helpful Linda. I once told them that I couldn't read several details on a death cert, including the cause of death which was a drowning in the river while intoxicated and all the details had been crammed into a very small space. They were kind enough to transcribe it for me.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Brilliant result Ozgirl.
                    Looks like she remarried to an Alexander Bain in 1861 & died in 1901. Not sure if you would get any extra info about James from either certificate.
                    Moggie

Comment

Ooh Moggie, I didn't have that info, thanks so much. She is OH's 3xGgrandmother and is leading me a merry dance.
                      Linda

Comment

Guess what I have found?

Moggie

Comment

Moggie, you are an absolute star - yes, yes, yes, all the names and dates match with what I have of the family, apart from the deaths of course! So much detail, it's wonderful. I previously had a dob of 1803, but can now amend that - maybe find hid birth now too.

Thank you so much!
                          Linda

Comment

Working...
                          X