why can't I find his death??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why can't I find his death??

after fiddling about with my tree I have discovered that I don't have my 2xgt grandfathers death/burial record.

and whats more I can't find it in the index!!..

Edward HOLMES was born abt. 1811 in leicestershire [though on the 1871 it gives his YOB as 1805]

he married Harriet Lydall in 1835 @ Whitwick, Leicestershire

this is them in the 1871 cens

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

by 1881 Harriet is living with her son Isaac and in 1891 with daughter Eliza in Barrow upon Soar and is saying she is a widow, [Harriet dies in 1895 B upon S]

I have in my records that Edward died in 1880 @ Whitwick, but I can't find a record of it in the index [it would come under Ashby de la Zouch district]

can anyone spot anything please.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-07-12, 16:48.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I have just had a look on the NBI and it states that he was buried 12th Jan 1880 @ Whitwick, so why doesn't it show in the index?
    Julie

Comment

Edward Holmes Mar quarter 1880 Ashby De La Zouch 7a 70 aged 68

Comment

Bear in mind that a death is registered in the appropriate registration district for the place where the death took place.

Burial, for one reason or another, may not be in that same registration district.

I live in a rural area. Some of my neighbouring villages are in a different reg dist. On my way to the next village, some of the farms I pass are in my dist, some are in the other. Ag labs moved from one farm to another, but often stuck to just one village church for bp, marr, burs.
        My village is on the cusp of an ecclesiastical boundary and the records for my village & those to the west are deposited at York. Next village to the east, the records are at Beverley. Gets complicated!

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          Edward Holmes Mar quarter 1880 Ashby De La Zouch 7a 70 aged 68
          Val, where is that??? I can't find it on Ancestry!!!
          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            Bear in mind that a death is registered in the appropriate registration district for the place where the death took place.

Burial, for one reason or another, may not be in that same registration district.

I live in a rural area. Some of my neighbouring villages are in a different reg dist. On my way to the next village, some of the farms I pass are in my dist, some are in the other. Ag labs moved from one farm to another, but often stuck to just one village church for bp, marr, burs.
            My village is on the cusp of an ecclesiastical boundary and the records for my village & those to the west are deposited at York. Next village to the east, the records are at Beverley. Gets complicated!

Jay
            I know what you mean though Jay, the reg dist is ADLZ, I have many certs for this family and they tended to stay in Whitwick (aside from the children that moved away)

looks like Val has found it though, but I couldn't see it AT ALL on Ancestry.. grrr
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              Val, where is that??? I can't find it on Ancestry!!!
              Probably because it's listed under Holwes Julie The 'Add alternate information isn't working either, so I can't set them straight. Also, it takes you to the page that Holwes would be on and you have to go back a page!!
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

will someone slap me??? I feel such a prawn.. I have just looked through my certificates and guess what I have found!!... Edwards Death Cert!!

I have found the death ref on FreeBMD but I can't see it on Ancestry!.. go figure!..
                Julie

Comment

I have found the death ref on FreeBMD but I can't see it on Ancestry!.. go figure!..
                  See above

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    Probably because it's listed under Holwes Julie The 'Add alternate information isn't working either, so I can't set them straight. Also, it takes you to the page that Holwes would be on and you have to go back a page!!
                    oh FGS!! how daft!!

Thanks hun, am going to have a look at this now and see if I can get it sorted.. according to FreeBMD the image is very clear and its HOLMES..
                    Julie

Comment

It is clear on Ancestry too Julie when you go back a page to Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        It is clear on Ancestry too Julie when you go back a page to Holmes
                        yep I have just seen this, so why the heck have they got it mistrans as HOLWES?? [and the indexes come from FreeBMD as well...] !!
                        Julie

Comment

I found it on FMP

Comment

My Two and a half year old great grandson is learning his letters, an he gets confused with M's and W's!
                            I hope he gets them straightened out by the time he starts filling in forms though???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              I found it on FMP
                              Thanks Val, I thought I was losing it for a moment!! x

Originally posted by Ann Bentley View Post
                              My Two and a half year old great grandson is learning his letters, an he gets confused with M's and W's!
                              I hope he gets them straightened out by the time he starts filling in forms though???
                              lol Ann that made me laugh!.. Bless him! he'll get there..
                              Julie

Comment

will someone slap me??? I feel such a prawn.. I have just looked through my certificates and guess what I have found!!... Edwards Death Cert!!

A bit late but..............slap:D
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                                  A bit late but..............slap:D

:p :p
                                  Julie

Comment

Working...
                                  X