wilfred crossfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wilfred crossfield

can anyone find a death or marriage for wilfred crossfield? he was born in 1905, leeds, yorks, son of david crossfield and edith maude ford. he married monica simpson and had 2 children in north bierley district, but i cannot find a simpson marrying a wilfred or a monica. there is a death for a mary monica crossfield in 1981. i can't see a death for wilfred though. doing a wide search on ancestry, there is a death for a wilfred crossfield in illinois, america in 1983. but i don't know if it is him as i don't have worldwide

he is not the same as wilfred mawson crossfield, his father was joseph, and he married a mary elizabeth midgley.

can anyone help?

According to the West Yorks records on Ancestry, your Wilfred was born on 8th April 1905, and according to the Social Security Death Index, a Wilfred Crossfield born on the same date died in Cook County, Illinois on 28th Jan 1983. His last residence was Elmwood Park, Cook, Illinois.

Comment

Hi Nothing obvious showing up but the record of the death of a Wilfred in Illinois has a birth year of 1905. I don't have worldwide to access the details.
      Moggie

Comment

If you ever need US deaths, FamilySearch has the SSDI.

Comment

FMP has Wilfred Crossfield born 1905 leaving Southampton 1954 going to USA New York.
          Moggie
          Last edited by maudarby; 19-07-12, 12:07.

Comment

Did they also have a daughter born in Leeds in 1924?
            Moggie

Comment

Agnes Crossfield born 11th June 1910 died Apr 1986 Cook County, Illinois (SSDI)

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              According to the West Yorks records on Ancestry, your Wilfred was born on 8th April 1905, and according to the Social Security Death Index, a Wilfred Crossfield born on the same date died in Cook County, Illinois on 28th Jan 1983. His last residence was Elmwood Park, Cook, Illinois.
              Wilfred was accompanied by Agnes Crossfield age 43, their last Uk address: 86, Albert St, Edinburgh 7. Wilfred's occupation was Plater. They sailed on 19th May 1954, on the Georgic

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
              FMP has Wilfred Crossfield born 1905 leaving Southampton 1954 going to USA New York.
              Moggie

Comment

According to Scotlands people - http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ a Wilfred Crossfield married a Monica Mary Simpson in 1928 - Scoonie Fife 456/00 0007. For 5 credits you can view the marriage but I hadn't got 5 credits left. They are very cheap though at £7 for 30. I can't find a birth in Scotland for her, or a death under Crossfield. No Crossfield births in Scotland from 1928 to 1940 either. I also can't find a marriage in Scotland for Wilfred Crossfield to an Agnes.

There is a death of a Monica Mary Crossfield in Leeds in 1981 (April-June) aged 76, which gives her date of birth as 29th May 1908 but I can't find a birth for a Monica Mary Simpson under the two likely quarters either.

p.s. Do you know for sure that the Crossfield-Simpson births in North Bierley were Wilfreds and Monica's children? There is a Crossfield-Simpson marriage in Wharfedale in 1923, though the wife did die in Wharfedale too, so possibly not theirs.
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-07-12, 19:39.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There is a Monica Simpson on 1911 census, she's living in Bramley Leeds age 6, parents: Herbert and Martha both born Yorks, census transcription says Monica was born Mocombe on one site, and Moebombe on another..........nearest place name I can think of is Morecambe (Lancs). I've had no luck finding a birth for Monica. Her parents were entered as being married 17yrs, had 8 children born alive, 7 dead, 1 living. RG14, Piece 26893, ED 23. (census care on TNA).

Comment

wow, thank you all for the help.

my aunt died recently aged 90, she told me years ago that her uncle wilfred had 2 children, which was corroborated by my grandparents. they had told me he married a monica simpson, but all i could find was the death, and the children's births. thank you so much for the marriage! i had not thought to look in scotland.

i don't know if that wilfred in illinois is mine? i guess he must be? i don't know who agnes is. and i've never heard what happened to him, maybe my gran will know if i mention this. him being in scotland at all is new to me, i guess he married monica there, so living there with agnes isn't hard of a stretch? maybe he and monica separated.

Comment

To check that is your Wilfred's marriage in Scotland you would need to view the cert to find out their parents names.

Comment

i know it's him, i have the christenings of his kids, with the mother's name. just occured to me the reason monica isn't in the english census, is she may be scottish? just wondering who agnes is, and why there is no marriage?

Comment

Presumably he and Monica never divorced.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                            There is a Monica Simpson on 1911 census, she's living in Bramley Leeds age 6, parents: Herbert and Martha both born Yorks, census transcription says Monica was born Mocombe on one site, and Moebombe on another..........nearest place name I can think of is Morecambe (Lancs). I've had no luck finding a birth for Monica. Her parents were entered as being married 17yrs, had 8 children born alive, 7 dead, 1 living. RG14, Piece 26893, ED 23. (census care on TNA).
                            Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            i know it's him, i have the christenings of his kids, with the mother's name. just occured to me the reason monica isn't in the english census, is she may be scottish? just wondering who agnes is, and why there is no marriage?
                            Do you not think the above mentioned Monica Simpson is her? She's living in the same area of Leeds where Wilfred Crossfield was.

Comment

well i don't have the death cert for her, but it says she was born in 1908. i don't have the marriage yet either, so it shall be interesting to see how old she is there. and maybe there will be a reason it happened in scotland. my gran couldn't tell me anything.

Comment

I hope the marriage certificate helps you unravel the mystery. Do let us know what it says.

Comment

I hope I'm not too late Kyle but I needed a few credits for myself on Scotlands people, so I took the liberty of looking at the marriage.

It would seem that Monica Mary Simpson was the one found with parents Herbert and Martha in 1911. It gives Wilfreds occupation as Musician aged 23 and Monica Mary Simpson as 22.

Going by the details on the cert -

Possible marriage for Monica's parents - Herbert Simpson and Martha Ann Noble - Sept 1889 - Wharfedale 9a 251.
                                  Looks like them in 1911 - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

Possible marriage for Herberts parents - David Crossfield and Edith Maud(e) Ford - Dec 1891 - Leeds 9b 697
                                  Looks like them in 1911 - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

I have to go now but more details to follow. I have to say that some of isn't terribly clear to read though.
                                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-07-12, 12:02.

Comment

thank you for that chrissie, i was hoping i'd have some money on monday to get a few credots. so monica is that one then. how interesting.

wilfred was a musician? wow. havn't got anything else like that in the family. yes that's his parents in 1911. david died in 1926 from septicaemia after cutting himself at work. and edith died from uterine cancer in 1941. though their eldest daughter outlived everyone, she was 99 in 1991 when she passed away.

Comment

Will you be around for another 10-15 minutes? I'm trying to work out how to PM you the cert.
                                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-07-12, 09:43.

Comment

Now PM'd Can you let me know whether you can read it ok please. If not, I have had a go at darkening the writing but it hasn't helped much.

Comment

Working...
                                        X