A little success story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little success story

Thought I'd share a little discovery made this week relating to an ancestor who died in the early 1800's, I have an image of the headstone, where he lived and worked, copies of probate, images of the church were he married and where his children were baptised but nothing relating to his death bar the headstone and burial from the parish register, then I found an article on the online newspaper archive relating the following story....

To the many awful instances of sudden death which we have lately recorded, we have to add the following:- On Friday last, Mr Page Goulson, a farrier of considerable celebrity, at Car Colston, near Bingham, was sent for to the premises of Mr. Bean, a respectable farmer, of Orston, in the same neighbourhood, to attend a horse of his: after seeing the animal, he was riding towards Mr Bean’s house, accompanied by the latter gentleman on foot: they had gone but a short distance, when Mr. Bean perceived his friend in the act of falling from his horse: he caught him in his arms and conveyed him, in a senseless condition, into his house; medical aid was obtained as speedily as possible, and Mr Goulson so far rallied as to be able, on Saturday to talk a little but very incoherently: he soon afterwards fell into a stupor, and continued so until seven o’clock on Sunday morning when he expired.-He was well known and as well respected; and was about 60 years of age

It's now part of my flickr site and added to TP too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Ooh, and almost forgot, the chap who gained an OBE for his military action went to Uni in Nottingham in the 1930's, for one rag week Robin Hood was resurrected, true to history he robbed from the wealthy to help the poor, the part of Robin Hood was played by the chap who went on to be awarded the OBE

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

your tree sounds fascinating Glen,

Comment

On line newspapers are an absolute gold mine of completely unexpected stories, aren't they?! We recently discovered that my great grandfather had not only abandoned his little girls to the care of their grandmother after his wife's death. He had in fact gone off before that "leaving his family on the charge of the Parish" and as a result he had been sent to prison for 3 months!

Anne

Comment

bit of great detective work there Glen!! well done.. am still digging and getting nowhere fast!!...

two more connections and messages sent off.. have to wait and see now if they reply!..
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            bit of great detective work there Glen!! well done.. am still digging and getting nowhere fast!!...

two more connections and messages sent off.. have to wait and see now if they reply!..
            Love the weekly advert Martha's stepmum placed every week, transcribed as it appears with capitals..."Mrs Elmer would like to announce to the public that she purchases all items of LEFT OFF clothing".
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 21-07-12, 10:32.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Just been playing around renaming some files, now this one is really adding some meat to the bones, 1871 my black sheep was up in court and the family lived in the most notorious slum yard in Lincoln, jump to 1876 and they have moved up in the world, also handy as it shows the earliest link so far to an address from later census and trade directories.

Mrs Elmer 33 strait advert by Glen TK2, on Flickr

And here is the shop in 2006, a bit after they left......

33 and 34 Strait c2006 by Glen TK2, on Flickr
              Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 21-07-12, 10:33.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
              X