Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old did you need to be, to be an Informant on a DC? (1942 Death)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old did you need to be, to be an Informant on a DC? (1942 Death)

Hello
    I have managed to get the DC of a chap on Scotlandspeople. Very helpful.

The informant was listed as his daughter, same address as him.

He died in 1942. The only birth I can find for her is 1931.

Isnt she a bit young to be doing that duty?

Many thanks

Debbs

Hi Debbs

I am not completely sure,but I suspect the answer to this is the same as how old you have to be to act as a witness at a wedding. In the latter case you have to be old enough to understand what is happening. My uncles witnessedmy parent's wedding when he was 15.
    Barbara

Comment

Thanks Barbara, I guess its a bit of those ' how long is a piece of string' type questions!! Lol!

Comment

The only thing I can say is that 1942 was wartime and you had to grow up very quickly in wartime! How did he die? Ordinary death or air raid?

Janet

Comment

I'm not sure about Scotland, but in England, only certain people can inform a death. If the girl was present at the death, then she could inform. If not, she would have to be a close blood relative (yes, the daughter) or an official of some sort.

I think the general rule of thumb for a witness or informant of any type is that they be old enough to understand what they are doing and capable of remembering doing it, lol. So 11 years old would be ok (in England) but quite unusual.

OC

Comment

He died in Hospital of a long term heart disease. (3 years) and Congestion, 4 Days))
            He served in the first war and is classed as 'Army Pensioner' on his DC.
            The address the daughter gives is the same address as his, his wife is also listed, but she didn't die until 20 years later.

Debbs

Comment

Working...
            X