royal j reg ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royal j reg ?

Dose anyone have any idea what army had a J Regiment.

Where have you found the reference to the "Royal J Reg."
    Elaine

Comment

Is this thread also about your soldier William Bramall?

If so , is this the same William who was at Raglan Barracks, St Aubyn, Devonport in 1881? (He was born Stockport c1839.)
      Haven't read through all the pages, but an infantry reg was stationed there - the 1/13 light infantry.
      I'm not a military buff, so am not sure if 1/13 was a larger unit, made up from several different regiments.

In 1891 he was out of the army and in Oldham and in 1901 & 1911 in Taunton.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-07-12, 16:11.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have you seen the original script? I'd suspect that the "J" is the initial a county, say. Tho' \I concede that not all regiments were named for counties!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That 'j' could be an 'I'...for Infantry.

Comment

In 1891 census, William Bramall was in Oldham with wife Harriet, son Alick & daughter Rose.
            Alick was recorded as 14 yrs old, born Aldershot. making his year of birth 1876/1877

Aldershot was an army garrison town -
            There was the birth of an Alexander Bramhall registered Oct-Dec qtr 1876 in Farnham Reg Dist, which included Aldershot
            According to the GRO army regimental birth indices, the birth of an Alexander Brammall was registered at Aldershot in 1876 (I think this would have been a baptism record)
            The regiment was the 13th foot, as mentioned above in the 1881 census ref.

So, this seems to confirm a link between the census images mentioned for 1881, 1891, 1901 & 1911, and also gives you a regiment.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I don't know if this is the right regiment or not - 13th foot, Somerset Light Infantry.

The link to the history of the regiment shows they were active in South Africa whilst your man was serving - the Kaffir & Zulu wars, so he may have had an interesting career.

This gives a more detailed history of the regiment and describes the whereabouts of the different battalions

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-07-12, 11:08.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

A free search on Findmypast shows that there are a set of Army Service Records for a William Brammall born c1840 Stockport.
                Elaine

Comment

William and Harriet (Chick) probably married in early 1884 in Taunton Reg Dist. Perhaps the marriage was when he left the army?)
                  According to 1891 census returns William's wife Harriet was born at Taunton.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Zan, if you have managed to view these replies to your question, could you please acknowledge, on this thread?

We may be able to help you further - IF we know you are still interested and also still around;D

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

On the cert for the birth of his son his ocupation just said " Royal J Reg".

Comment

Unfortunatly there seem to be alot of william Bramall's in the UK.

Comment

No the man who is said to be in Royal J Reg is Micheal lamb. William Bramall Was in Portabello barracks at the time of his wedding in 1870. His parents were William Bramall and Bridget Egan from Anglia.

Comment

What date are we talking about for Michael Lamb, please? I ask, because regiments have been amalgamated over the years.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Are you sure that the regt is Royal J Reg and not LOYAL N REG? A few of mine were in the Loyal N Reg.

Janet.

Comment

Royal Jersey Regiment - a Militia Light Infantry

Malc
                                Malc

OPC for Coleford, Somerset

Comment

Working...
                                X