Death Age on NBI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Age on NBI?

Elizabeth Turner died in the Abingdon district between 1841 and 1851, in Nuneham Courtenay. There are 2 possibilities on BMD - Mar 1846 and Jun 1848. The one I want was born ca 1763, according to the 1841 census, so would have been 83 or 85 on those respective dates. Would the NBI give ages of the dead? Unfortunately as it is Oxfordshire, there isn't a lot online.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I believe the NBI records what was written in the parish burial register, so that would be dependent upon what the incumbent chose to write down
    However, I think the registers by that time had a column for recording age.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

nothing showing up for any elizabeth turners buried in oxfordshire on fmp. i don't if there is a later edition of the nbi not on fmp though.

Comment

Thanks Jay and Kyle, have to try another way then.
        Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          Elizabeth Turner died in the Abingdon district between 1841 and 1851, in Nuneham Courtenay. There are 2 possibilities on BMD - Mar 1846 and Jun 1848. The one I want was born ca 1763, according to the 1841 census, so would have been 83 or 85 on those respective dates. Would the NBI give ages of the dead? Unfortunately as it is Oxfordshire, there isn't a lot online.

Thanks
          I was going to point out that the 1841 census used rounded ages - but "ca 1763" suggests that you got lucky and the enumerator didn't bother with rounding the ages down, and your Elizabeth TURNER shows up as being aged 78? It might be worth a double-check just to make sure that the 8 really is 8 and not, say, 3 or 5.

Have you looked to see if any of the Oxfordshire FHS publications & CDs might be worth buying?

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-07-12, 17:20.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It definitely looks like 78 - the 8 is similar to one a few entries up. Strangely all the other adults have been rounded down but not her - maybe she was proud of it!

(link to the census entry , she has been transcribed as Elizabeth Wims but it looks like Turner to me http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=9372091

I have the OFHS parish disc for Nuneham, but unfortunately for burials it only goes up to 1840. There is no other publication that covers burials. I think I will have another check at the Berks FH Centre as they have some of the parish records for Oxfordshire. Thanks for all your help.
            Linda

Comment

Just to say I agree with you - Elizabeth Turner, 78 yrs

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
              X