Died twice???? Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Died twice???? Any ideas?

As part of our One Name society I compile databases of GRO indexes. What do you think of this I just found?

Arthur George East died Feb 1990, Portsmouth. birth date 19 Feb 1915
    Arthur George East died Sep 2002, Bromley. birth date 19 Feb 1915

Only one Arthur East is registered as being born in Q1 or Q2 1915 ...
    Arthur G East, Portsmouth, Q1 1915

Am I missing something obvious or is this odd?

Anne

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
    As part of our One Name society I compile databases of GRO indexes. What do you think of this I just found?

Arthur George East died Feb 1990, Portsmouth. birth date 19 Feb 1915
    Arthur George East died Sep 2002, Bromley. birth date 19 Feb 1915

Only one Arthur East is registered as being born in Q1 or Q2 1915 ...
    Arthur G East, Portsmouth, Q1 1915

Am I missing something obvious or is this odd?

Anne
    Maybe the second one was born abroad or his birth reg has not reached the indexes?

Can't be the same person and can't think or any reason for a second registration - people only die once!!

Margaret

Comment

Maybe name change by deedpoll or known by that name but registered as George Arthur at birth.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Its the exact same birthdate which gets me! I know co-incidences are more common than we think but this beats all! If they were just born in the same quarter I wouldn't think anything of it. Shame the birth date is after the 1911 census.

Anne

Comment

It may be just that the informant gave the wrong birthdate.

Comment

I suppose there's a remote possibility that one of the death registrations is fraudulent.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

That's what I was wondering UJ!! Ah, well. I guess the only way to find out would be to buy the certificates and I can't justify that expense as this person (or persons) is not on the Society list of families. Can you even buy certificates for these recent dates, or do you have to prove a connection?

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                That's what I was wondering UJ!! Ah, well. I guess the only way to find out would be to buy the certificates and I can't justify that expense as this person (or persons) is not on the Society list of families. Can you even buy certificates for these recent dates, or do you have to prove a connection?

Anne
                No you just buy them in the normal way.

Margaret

Comment

I'm wondering if the first registration was a temporary one, to allow burial and the second one was the "real" one?

I've read recently where a death cert was amended some thrity years after death to reflect murder rather than accidental death. I know this should mean the first has an amendment number and NOT a complete re-registration, but I do wonder.

Another explanation is that the two men were related, say maybe father and son and the informant at the second death got the birth date wrong. My brother and I were born in the same month but three years apart and my father could never remember which of us had which birthday! If he had been the informant at the death of either of us, he could quite easily have got the two dates mixed up.

OC

Comment

Thanks ... interesting ideas. I might be so overcome with curiosity that I have to get the certs!
                    Anne

Comment

so would I Anne if you do please let us know the outcome

Comment

Anne

If you box clever, you might not have to buy the certs, lol.

Why not phone the local registrar and say that you just need to know if it is the same man, or two different men, before you order. They quite often like a mystery!

OC

EDIT - DURH! just realised it's two different Registrars, so that won't work! Sorry.
                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 14-07-12, 23:06. Reason: Idiocy

Comment

Working...
                        X