Victorian lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian lawyers

I have discovered a lawyer in my wife's family, and with lawyers/solicitors being highly regulated thought that it would be quite simple to find some information about his career. Wrong!

I have searched all over the Law Society website and cannot find any historical information, and this forum and all the associated pages doesn't seem to have any information either. Searching Google for Victorian lawyers mainly brings up lawyers in Victoria, Australia!

Anyone had any experience with searching for similar information?
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Can I ask if you have found this on a census - if so are you sure it is lawyer, rather than sawyer. These are often confused because of the handwriting!
    Elaine

Comment

This may be of some use on The National Archives site

:D Elaine - I found what I thought was a lawyer - he left several properties in his will so it made sense, but he was a sawyer.
      Jackie

Comment

When I first started transcribing Liverpool Registers Elaine, I thought there were a lot of Lawyers round here when in fact it was Sawyers)

Comment

I doubt very much whether a legal person would be described as a lawyer - I would expect a more precise description. I'm in the Sawyer camp.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yes, it is from a census RG11-490-F23-P39 line 7 Henry Price.

Having had another look I think it could be Sawyer, the first letter is very similar to Scholar a couple of lines down.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

I would say it is sawyer.
              Elaine

Comment

lawyers were usually described as 'solictor' in the census. my ancestor was a lawyer, but always described as solicitor.

Comment

Capital S and L are favourites for mistranscription. The GRO index has my Lydiard ancestor's death down as Sydiard, while the local register office has the name correctly recorded.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

lawyers were usually described as 'solictor' in the census. my ancestor was a lawyer, but always described as solicitor.
                    Agreed, otherwise they used 'attorney'

scuda
                    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Working...
                    X