Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1901

Please can anyone spot the Harbers family

Sep qtr 1897, married in Steyning reg dist (Sussex) Gerard Harbers (born Germany c1873) & Louisa Tarling (born North Weald Essex c1876)

A daughter Winifred May was born in Hove, birth reg Jun qtr 1898.

I can't find them in 1901 - it's just this bit I need to complete the puzzle.
    (1911 - the family were in Brighton with 2 additional children (both born Sussex) Gerard was a coal heaver. The family moved to Outer London a few years later)

Thanks, Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-07-12, 10:24.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Sorry Jay not having much luck.

I noticed that their son Harry was born in the Littlehampton area in 1900 so thought I would look in that area as well but so far nothing. Will try again later.

Comment

Thanks for trying, Frazzled

"I noticed that their son Harry was born in the Littlehampton area in 1900 so thought I would look in that area as well but so far nothing."

Louisa had several sisters and other relatives in the Brighton/Hove and wider Sussex area, but so far the Harbers are not showing up with any of these

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Not having much luck either.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for trying Elaine.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

did try this morning ad again this afternoon but not a sausage sorry.

Comment

Thanks Val.

Bit of a dysfunctional family set up, they went through a trauma in the last two weeks of March - but I really don't know why they are missing from census.

A sister's family, the cause of the trauma, are also awol.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-07-12, 18:45.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

maybe we can find them instead ?

Comment

The head of the other missing household was Ernest Forrest Johnson, born c1869 in Huyton Lancs. (I have his whereabouts in 1891 and also in 1911, by which time the family had split up.)

Ernest was a commercial traveller and moved around a lot.
                  On March 11th, (20 days before census) Ernest gave his address as 7 Station Road Ilford. I tried doing a 1901 census address search and couldn't find a 7 Station Road Ilford, but did find a 7 Railway Street Ilford On census night, number 7 Railway St (and no 8) appear to have been unoccupied. (31 Mar was the end on the month and could have been when your tenancy agreement came to an end????) I just wonder if being unfamiliar with the area, and perhaps being away from home during the week, you could say 7 Station Road instead of 7 Railway Street?
                  Perhaps someone could check the two addresses for me - I don't usually have to "do" addresses as my folks usually lived in small villages which didn't have street names.

Maybe the family was between homes and didn't bother filling in either form?

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

sorry couldn't find them either ?

Comment

Thank for looking Val

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Found Station Road, Ilford on the 1901 search but there is no number 7, it only lists 1-4 Willow Cottages, a Rosebud Cottage, one house with no number and a farm. I checked them all but no Ernest Johnson I'm afraid.

When I tried putting in Staion Street nothing came up so couldn't check what you have found.

Looked for Ernest under Johnson and Forrest but no luck - sorry

Comment

Thank you so much, Frazzled.
                          I'm so pleased you found the same as me for Station Road, because at least I know I didn't miss some vital clue.
                          The substitute address I tried was RAILWAY Street - I didn't see a Station Street????

I think I'm going to have to accept they all missed out on being recorded in 1901. Whether this was deliberate (not wanting to have current surnames and relationships down on official records) or accidental (moving home that weekend) I guess I'll never know.
                          It is known (family account) that round about this time the Johnson family split up - I was soooooo hoping that the Harbers and at least one person from the Johnson family would turn up in census, indicating whether or not the split had already happened by 31 Mar, or whether it came later.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have found a Station Road for Ilford in Essex, but here isnt a no 7, it jumps from 6 to 8!

PS - I dont mean Odds and Evens, its 1,2,3,4,5,6,8!
                            Last edited by Debbss; 13-07-12, 09:57.

Comment

Was that in 1901 census Debbss, or present day?

If it was in 1901, would it be possible to post the link, please?

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Its on another site to ancestry. Yes it was the 1901 census Janet. I can send you the image.

The code is RG 13/1648,Ilford, Romford (Part of)

Debbs

Comment

snip12.jpg

Comment

Does that work?

Comment

did they live in Greenwich for a time ??? as this might be them in 1919 and he is calling himself George ???

Comment

dont know if you have his arrival here ? but there is a Gerard Herber arriving here 9 Sep 1839

Comment

Working...
                                        X