Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing after 1848 - help please

Can anybody help find this lady please?

Maria Sharpe born c.1812 Gt Saxham Suffolk - unfortunately I haven't found a baptism but I'm fairly sure she is the daughter of John Sharpe & Mary Tilson. I have found baptisms for most of their children and Maria fits nicely into the gap in their ages.

Married Thomas Pryke 1/7/1836 Gt Saxham.

Thomas died in 1840, buried 23/2/1840 in Bury St Edmunds.

A son, also Thomas, was born 13/9/1840 and baptised 15/11/1840 in Bury St Edmunds. In the 1841 census Maria and baby Thomas are living with her sister Mary Ann Debenham in Bury St Edmunds.

There is a burial in Gt Saxham 10/1/1845 for a Thomas Pryke aged 4 so it looks like Maria may have moved back to Gt Saxham and her son died there.

The reason I say she is missing after 1848 is that I have a prayerbook that she gave to her mother. The inscription reads "Mary Sharpe, the gift of her affectionate daughter Maria Pryke, 1848".

I'm therefore looking for a death or remarriage after that date.

Sorry this is a bit long but I thought it might be useful to give the background info.

Jane

There's a marriage for a Maria Pryke in 1849
    Registration District Hartismere Suffolk
    1st Qtr Vol 13 page 747

One in 1851
    Registration District Samford
    1st Qtr Vol 12 page 575

There's one in Stow district in 1863 and another in Risbridge in 1867.
    Last edited by Durham Lady; 12-07-12, 09:15.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thank you - I will investigate, particularly the first two marriages.

I couldn't find Maria on the 1851 census so it looks more likely that she married again before then.

Jane

Comment

Jane, the only name showing on the details of first one is Eli Newman and the second has William Garnham and Robert Halls. They might help with census searches.
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Via the 1851 census I've found Robert Halls married Lucy so Maria must have married William Garnham but the only Marias I found married to a William don't match up with age or place of birth.

I haven't managed to find Eli Newman yet.

Jane

Comment

I've found Eli & Maria Newman now - age and place of birth don't match again.

Jane

Comment

Eli is in Hartsmere District, wife Maria, but she is born Diss Norfolk, 2 month daughter Thirza he's a cobbler, looks like he has a brother and another apprentice with them in the house

Piece 1795 Folio 605 page 12 Address Heed Cottage, Yaxley

Snapp LOL
              Last edited by Durham Lady; 12-07-12, 09:38.
              Daphne

Comment

Working...
              X