Quick Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Query

Can anyone tell me if, when a marriage is annulled, is that marriage completely struck off the records never to appear anywhere again...? I am trying to find a marriage that does not seem to exist anywhere, and wonder whether it could have been annulled rather than the husband having been killed as is the story put about within the family?

No a marriage records stays there for ever and can be seen in the normal way. I was divorced and my first marriage is still there in the index and I presume someone could get the cert to see the details if they wanted.

Margaret

Comment

I don't think entries are ever removed from the GRO index. Have you tried searching for each individual seperately (rather than for a couple) incase one of the names has been recorded incorrectly?
      Have you found the death registration for the man?

The story of the husband being killed sounds a bit like a case I'm looking at at the moment, where the marriage is supposed to have broken up because of bigamy.
      However, bigamy means one party was married twice and I can't find even one marriage record for the man concerned, let alone two.
      And nothing in newspapers so far - this leads me to suspect that "bigamy" was used to cover up the woman's "indiscretion!"

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-07-12, 10:59. Reason: spelling
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have a couple of marriages that can't be found. Either the couples didn't actually marry and just lived together or the records never reached the GRO from the original records or were missed off when the records were copied.
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I thought that an annulment (as if a marriage had never taken place) was quite different from a divorce - yes I am divorced too and the record of my previous marriage still exists. Anyway in regard to my query the woman concerned was born Mary Berner and she had a sister Ruth Berner, both birth records I have found. Ruth married a Herbert Leonard Rance, marriage record found. Mary Berner had two children with the surname Heap (both records found) giving her maiden name as Berner. The two children grew up without a father, having been told that he was killed in a road accident. Ruth Rance (nee Berner) died in the 1950s, and Mary Heap (nee Berner) later married Herbert Leonard Rance, her late sisiter's husband; I've found that marriage record, but it's the earlier marriage of Mary Berner to someone called Heap that I cannot find.

Comment

The GRO index is only for England and Wales. Might they have married in Scotland, Ireland or elsewhere?

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

If she had two children with her first "husband" I can't see how there would have been grounds to annul the marriage.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

nor me, that is what makes it so curious, unless a marriage never actually took place. Can't somehow imagine that, though

Comment

Where and when did the marriages and births you know of take place?
                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

The births of Mary Berner/Heap's children took place in Brighton in the JAS qr of 1948 and Luton in the JFM qr 1950. There only appears to have been 2 births to Heap/Berner.

Ruth Berner married Herbert Leonard Rance in Paddington in the AMJ qr 1954. Ruth Rance died about 4yrs later.

Mary Heap and Herbert Leonard Rance were married in Brighton about 1973

Comment

Might be an idea to get a birth cert for one of the children to get a full name for Mr Heap so you could at least see who he was and who his family were.

I think an annulment after two children would be odd but could have been for another reason. See this earlier thread on here about this topic http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...arriages-1980s

Margaret

PS I think it would be that the marriage is still in the register but perhaps not possible to get a copy of the certificate as that would be suppressed.
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-07-12, 15:34.

Comment

Given the dates, maybe the marriage took place during the war and abroad? I agree with Margaret, unless you get a birth certificate for one of the children you are working in the dark. Once you have the father's name you can look for a death .... if there is one!

Anne

Comment

If a legal annulment has taken place then the record of the "marriage" still exists but will be suppressed by the GRO, who will tell you that "no such marriage can be found" (even if it is still in the indexes - the indexes are old and have been distributed all over the place, it is impossible for the GRO to police the indexes).

There are other reasons for annulling a marriage even after the birth of children but to me it sounds as if the couple never married in the first place!

OC

Comment

maybe this 'Heap' chap was already married? and this is why the children were told their father had been killed? [that way, they wouldn't think about making contact as he was dead]

just a theory...

though agree that the b/certs would help with his name.. don't suppose you have looked for a baptism for them?
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                            X