Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander Phillips....

Hi all,

I am trying to find any records of an Alexander Phillips leaving scotland/England to go to New Zealand, I'm sorry but I really don't have much information to go on except I think he was possibly born around 1860 but I am not sure of this. He had a wife called Jane (maiden name Potter) and a son called William Alexander Phillips born abt 1880/81; I don't know if the marriage to Jane and the birth of their son was in Scotland or New Zealand etc as I can't find a record for either, I also don't know where Jane was born. Alexander was a Whaler...I don't know if that helps. Sorry to not have more to go on.

Any help would be very much appreciated, Thank you

Last edited by jadzia; 12-07-12, 00:45.
    Ness

Hi had a look on Scotlands People not luck so did some research on him and he was from Baffin Bay Texas and he was a Whaler. Still looking for you for the Marriage and birth of William Alexander Phillips. He also was not born in Scotland. Not much help but will try for you, Liz Hutchison

Comment

Hi Liz, Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. Yes Alexander was a Whaler in Baffin Bay I have found some info regarding this that I am in the process of checking out. I have the marriage for William A Phillips in New Zealand but not the one for Alexander Phillips & Jane Potter. I am hoping to find when Alexander moved to New Zealand but am so far drawing a blank...

Ness

Comment

Hi did a bit of searching and come up with this for you,
        William Alexander Phillips born 1881 Stewart Island
        Parents Alexander Phillips and Jane Potter.
        William Alexander Phillips married Elizabeth Pollock 1903 Stewart Island, Elizabeth was born 1881.
        Children:
        William Alexander Phillips born 16th DEcember 1906 Bluff NZ
        Hugh Phillips born 1915 Stewart Island NZ
        Liue Phillips no birth date.
        Jean Phillips no birth date
        Maggie Phillips no birth date
        Grace Phillips no birth date
        Helen Joyce Phillips no birth date.
        William Alexander Phillips born 1881 died 1st Jan 1932 Bluff Island NZ
        Hope this helps have found a email address which I will pm you of a owner of a Tree relating to this family Ok Liz

Comment

Jean was born Elizabeth Jean Phillips 1911 Stewart Island.Liz

Comment

Lillian Grace Phillips born 1909 parents William Alexander and Elizabeth Pollocks. So the one above Liue is Lillians nickname.
            So bearing this all in mind if William Alexander Phillips birth was registered in 1881 that would make his father so 20 years old when he was conceived if Alexander was born in 1860, I believe he just might have been born a bit earlier based on this, he would have been about 19 years when he married give or take a few months. He was supposed have gone to Buffin Bay Texas then to Stewart Island N.Z. Will go and look up some records of Immigration on a different sight to see if I can find Alexander Phillips. Stewart Island and Bluff Island were both Whaling Places in the South Island of N.Z. so on the right track, regards Liz

Comment

Im back think you will find these 2 to be Alexander Phillips and Jane Potters children
              Cecil Harold Phillips born 1884
              Pearl Elsie Eveline Phillps 1885
              Parents Alexander Phillips
              Mothers surname Potter.
              Looked at the NZ Census and find Alexander in 1890 Occupation Seaman living at Bluff
              5 years later I find as a Fisherman.
              William Alexander Phillips his occupation after his marriage to Elizabeth Pollocks is a Wagoner and later
              in life he is a Fisherman living in Halfmoon Bay,Awarua, Southland.
              Elizabeth Pollocks family still live in Bluff today, Liz

Comment

Hi Liz,

Thank you for all the effort you have gone to for me and for all the information I really appreciate it. The owner of the tree you PM'd me about is the family member I am researching with. He has been searching for Alexander Phillip's and Jane Potter's marriage for years with no luck yet. I have been unwell for the last few days so it has meant I have been able to spend more time at the computer and was searching all day yesterday for it with no luck. I have Ancestry UK and have looked at the indexes for NZ electoral rolls and there are quite a few entries for them on there but I only have the UK sub at the moment so I am unable to view the records. There are also some indexes that show some Alexander Phillips's and a Jane Elizabeth Phillips going from the UK to NZ but again I can only see the index so do not know if they are the ones I am looking for...

Ness

Comment

Can you give me a year that you saw that and I will go and have a look for you, Liz

Comment

i take it you don't have deaths for alexander or jane? is it possible jane was american? or a kiwi? just thinking of why a marriage is not around. it's possible i guess jane was married before and therefore you are not looking for an alexander phillips jane potter marriage.

Comment

the only thing i can suggest is the name was not spelled 'phillips' in the new zealand records, and you can't use a soundex search.

Comment

Yeh I was looking down that path, if they married in America Marriage Records for Greenland are very spars. Still looking. Liz

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you for all the help. Before I posted on this forum I put an enquiry about Electoral Rolls for this family as I am more used to this site I thought I would post here trying to knock down other brick walls to do with this family...I realise now I should have put a link bewteen the two but it didn't occur to me at the time I am sorry for any inconvienence caused. In light of this if anyone helping me would rather not I would completely understand and would like to thank you for your help this far I really do appreciate it.

Edit: Due to abuse posted on the thread in the above link from a member of rootschat I requested that the above post was removed and the moderators agreed so the above link doesn't work now.
                          Last edited by jadzia; 19-09-12, 00:10.
                          Ness

Comment

it was a bit harsh on the other forum i think ness. did you get any luck with obits for the area your phillips in? are there electoral rolls for william's parents?

Comment

Hi jadzia, I've just joined the forums and noticed your message. Alexander Phillips and Jane Potter were my gt. gt. grandparents. William Alexander Phillips was my gt. grandfather, and his daughter Louise Phillips was my grandmother. I don't have a lot of information, but would be happy to share what I have.

Comment

Hi ccollis,
                                Welcome to the forum, Thank you for your reply....I will PM you
                                Ness

Comment

Working...
                                X