Farmer of 16 acres.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmer of 16 acres.

In the 1871 Census, an Abel Holland aged 78 is a farmer of 16 acres in charming Cheshire, (Gawsworth)
    How can I find more detail of this property?

He has a probate record 1873, "late of Walkers Heath Farm" so you may find its still called that.

His sons were the executors:

Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 10-07-12, 16:08.

Comment

Oooh, Alan, we must be related! My lot came from Gawsworth and were farmers.

I don't have the website address to hand but if you google "Cheshire tithe Maps" you should come up with a very useful site. this told me that some of mine were owners and some were tenants and who the landlord was.

OC

Comment

If you go to the relevant Archive you might be lucky enough to see a parish map divided up into fields and coloured. Even if your ancestor was a tenant he should be mentioned on such a map (if it still exists)

Oooops .... sorry OC. Read first... post later should be my maxim!

Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 10-07-12, 16:10.

Comment

It does seem to exist,though there are a number of agricultural businesses with the address. It may have been split into a sort of agricultural industrial estate if you follow. However, there is also listed "Little Heath Farm" which appears to still be a private addy. It could be that the house itself was sold off separately? Whatever, it seems you have a good chance of finding it still standing

Comment

Thank you ladies, much appreciated.
            OC, it's my wife who has the Holland/Holden Line; her mother a Holland married a Holden and I'm now trying to compile her Tree. So far I have 3 Abel Hollands from Gawsworth, one of which ends up on The Wirral)

Comment

Alan

I've got several Hollands in the Gawsworth tree, I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Cheshire Wills are brilliant by the way and all the Gawsworth farmers left one!

OC

Comment

He didnt leave much money OC, which is surprising for a farmer? May be all the money was passed before his death.

Comment

Heather

He may have only been a tenant farmer of course, or as you say, gave away the money before he died.

OC

Comment

From what I can gather, the land was owned by The Earl of Harrington. The sons dont appear to have continued on the farm and there is 'talk' that the brothers fell out but getting to the bottom of that is not within my ability.

Comment

One of the bros (Sam) on the probate record has the occupation as farmer and the farm as his addy - I think the other one is a wheelwright. But I guess you have looked at the record by now. There are also quite a few trees on there with this chap and his family.
                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 11-07-12, 11:13.

Comment

16 acres isn't a lot of land, so he perhaps had a couple of little fields/paddocks and made a living from grazing cows and milking.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

You're right Janet!.....16 acres isnt a lot in farming terms and yes I think the family had a few plots for the purposes you mention but I would'nt mind 16 acres of Cheshire countryside right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X