Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land registry maps

Hi

I would like to see if i can find an old map that has individual houses marked. My family come from a very small village in Suffolk and I want to see how many houses were occupied by my relatives in 1911.

Is this possible?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

How would you see on a map who the house belonged to though? Cant you just trawl the village for their name?

Comment

The Lloyd George Domesday Survey was very good for detailing individual houses at the time you are speaking about.

Other than that the 1820 Tithe Maps are much earlier, but maybe will show the same properties or at least most of the properties of a village but not probably of your ancestors. I was thrilled with the information I found on a tithe map for my village ancestors.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 10-07-12, 15:34.

Comment

I was just going to get a map and put a little marker on each house in the village to see how many of them were actually a relative of my great grandparents at the time.

Thanks for the info, looks just the sort of thing im looking for
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

There are large-scale (bigger than the usual inch-to-a-mile) Ordnance Survey maps. Old OS maps seem to come up regularly on Ebay and you might just be lucky.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The local library in Suffolk (local to the village that is) should have very, very large scale maps of their area. They are needed for planning applications etc. Off the top of my head I think they are 6" to the mile.

Anne
            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 10-07-12, 16:17.

Comment

Working...
            X