What about Gasson? (Charlwood)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Gasson? (Charlwood)

Sorry to bother again! But would it be possible that Mary´s name is not Capon or Gapon but Gasson? This has been suggested to me on an ancestry message posting. There do seem to be Gasson´s in the town. Is is possible that the ´p´is a kind of mark for double s?

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx...d&pid=10193980

Thanks!
    Susan

double ss was often written with the first a long s (rather like an f) and the second a short s which could indeed look a bit like a p (have a look at the school mistress in this example: http://www.british-genealogy.com/cen...-a-census.html )so this is quite possible.
    Last edited by JudithM; 10-07-12, 14:22.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Is this Charlwood (Placename) in Surrey? Its a pocket handkerchief of a village , far from a twon
      Jess

Comment

Yep. I was just there. By Norwegian standards, its a town.

Comment

Probably not Capon

[QUOTE=serdmann;2385929]Sorry to bother again! But would it be possible that Mary´s name is not Capon or Gapon but Gasson? This has been suggested to me on an ancestry message posting. There do seem to be Gasson´s in the town. Is is possible that the ´p´is a kind of mark for double s?

I have an extensive data base of Capons in Surrey and Sussex. In particular I have the local family of Daniel Capon and Sarah Bowler, which is not in standard sources. I have a string of births in Ifield which agree with Daniel's will dated 1824, but there is no Mary born c. 1794. It is of course possible that a birth was not recorded, but as Daniel listed all his children, including married daughters, in his will it is more likely that your Mary is a Gasson. Be nice to find a birth record under that name, but if she was born in Ifield it might be a bit of a chase.

Ask if you want more detail.

Nick Capon

Comment

Without suggesting that I have any knowledge of the specific records in question, I can say that it is possible for "ss" to mistaken for "p".

The usual cause is that an old-fashioned "s" was sometimes rendered in its long form - rather like an "ƒ". When written close together, the first looks like the drop-stroke of the "p" and the second, close to it, looks like its loop:
            ∫s... if you cram then up close, you can see how the mistake is made.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 30-07-12, 17:39.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X