Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for mitchells of scotland

Hi

I am a new familytree forum member so I hope I am posting this in the right place. I appear to have come to several large road blocks in my family tree search. I live in New Zealand so popping down to a local office or parish for a search of my Scottish relatives is very difficult.

My first biggest problem is my Great Grand father Charles Mitchell side of the family.

Charles Mitchell according to 1911 English census he was born in Lanark Glagow in 1883

He was married in Glasgow on 4th Sept 1906 to Lilias Wallace Livingstone according to a Birth Cert of son Wallace

When I look up Scots People there is no record of this marriage in any year

I looked up all Charles Mitchell marriages in Scotland 1906 with no luck and then all the Lilias marriages in 1906 with no luck

I am not sure about his death but in 1950 his wifes travel records state she is a widow but she may of been a widow since 1947 as another travel record in 1947 stated her son as her nearest relative.

If I could get a copy of his marriage cert it would hopefully state his mother and fathers names

Any help on how I can find out about the Mitchell family would be much appreiciated.

Angela Mitchell
    Last edited by walandang; 10-07-12, 09:32.

Welcome to the forum.
    I see you have a tree on Ancestry with a photo of Charles Mitchell. The photo is quite small so I can't make out what sort of uniform he is wearing - is it a military uniform? If it is, and his service/pension records are available on Ancestry, then they sometimes give the date and place of a marriage.
    Elaine

Comment

I looked up OH's grandfather's marriage and couldn't find it on scotlandspeople - however as the details were on daughter's birth certificate I contacted the GRO in Scotland who were able to locate it. You could try contact the Glasgow register office.

Sorry I looked from 1900 to 1910 on scotlandspeople and couldn't see it even using just the christian name of Lilias and then both her middle and last names. Also just the surnames but nothing.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi
        I am not sure whether he was in the army or if it was just a studio photo, I have attached the picture to this thread could you please have a look and tell me what you think. I do think the 3 men in the photo look like brothers. Charles is in the middle is all that is wriiten on the back of the photo.

Angela

family tree089.jpg

Comment

Hi

Can you tell me how you contacted the GRO in Scotland can I email them? Do you know what type of certificate I ask for to find Charles mother and father.

Angela
          Last edited by walandang; 11-07-12, 09:09.

Comment

Angela

On ScotlandsPeople there are 12 Charles Mitchells who marry in Glasgow City between 1900 and 1910. Accessing that list will cost you one credit and will give you the names of the spouses and a link to access the marriage register. Hopefully one of the spouse names will ring a bell.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              Angela

On ScotlandsPeople there are 12 Charles Mitchells who marry in Glasgow City between 1900 and 1910. Accessing that list will cost you one credit and will give you the names of the spouses and a link to access the marriage register. Hopefully one of the spouse names will ring a bell.
              I had a credit spare so had a look at those 12 - none have Lilas or Wallace or Livingstone showing in the spouse column. The only 1906 marriage is
              1906 MITCHELL CHARLES JOHN WILSON to JESSIE KINNING PARK GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Margaret
              Last edited by margaretmarch; 11-07-12, 12:06.

Comment

Originally posted by walandang View Post
                Hi

Can you tell me how you contacted the GRO in Scotland can I email them? Do you know what type of certificate I ask for to find Charles mother and father.

Angela
                The marriage certificate is the one to get as it should say both parents and even mother's maiden name. Given you have an exact date they should be able to check fairly readily and give you the reference to order a copy.

Margaret

Comment

Yes I have seen that one. Last night I also searched on Scots People for all Livingstone and Mitchells 1855 -2009 and all Lilias and Charles 1855 -2009 with no names even reassembling either of them. How do I contact the Glasgow Registery Office for the reference number so I can oeder a copy.

ANGELA

Comment

Working...
                  X