Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can sks do a look up 1911 Manitoba Canada please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can sks do a look up 1911 Manitoba Canada please?

Looking for George Wllm Claxton born England Feb 1883 and
    his sister Minnie Claxton born Marquette Co Manitoba July 1890.

In 1901 they (and most of their siblings) were in Minnedosa, Marquette, Manitoba with their widowed mother.

I'm anxious to know if George & Minnie were still alive & single in 1911 & also living near each other, because .......

In the Manitoba death index, there's a death for a George William Claxton born 1883 and also one for a Minnie Claxton, born 1890.
    Both deaths were in Clanwilliam, Manitoba AND
    both were on the SAME DAY - 19 May 1912 Is it a coincidence (the deceased are not my rellies) or is there a mystery/tragedy?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I haven't found them yet in 1911 census, but Minnie appears on 1906 census, no sign of George though. (There was a census taken in 1906, but only for the Provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta).

Automated Genealogy is a free to view site listing Canadian census records. You should be able to see the census return as well as the transcription via a link on the above page.
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 09-07-12, 20:11.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thankyou for that Sue. That image shows mother Annie with daughters Janie & Minnie & youngest child Joseph all in Minnedosa.
      George Wllm is not at home, neither is the other son John R born Manitoba 1888.

They are only twigs on my tree, but when I came across those 2 deaths seemingly in the same place on the same day I felt a bit spooked!

I tried looking at 1911 in the library last week, but had no success. I wondered if it was me or if it wasn't yet fully indexed?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

My great uncle, my paternal grandmother's elder brother, died in Saskatchewan in October 1912 from Influenza. Although his siblings and his parents also caught the virus it was only fatal in his case. The family had emigrated from Wales the previous year - my g grandfather first, then 15 year old Sam a month later, then my g grandmother with the two youngest children 3 months after that.

Maybe there had been an outbreak of flu in Manitoba earlier that year? It doesn't explain where George & Minnie were in 1911 though.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thankyou for the very interesting info about the flu, Sue. I was wondering about illness (but never think of 'flu' ) or something horrid like a house fire.

I do apprediate your time. 1911 census isn't essential, I just thought if I could find them living near each other (and preferably near Clanwilliam) it might add weight to my supposition that the deaths were for my rellies. I think it will be my George, because when the youngest boy Joseph enlisted for the CEF, his unmarried sister Jennie was given as nok, not his eldest brother.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

This looks like the family on Ancestry, transcribed as Clarson.

George William Claxton, head, 28, brakeman (railway), born England
            Jane (looks like James) Elizabeth Claxton, sister, 26, sales lady (store), born England
            John Richard Claxton, 22, brother, teamster, born Manitoba
            Minnie Claxton, 20, sister, no occupation listed, born Manitoba
            Joseph Simpson? Claxton, 18, brother, illegible (railway), born Manitoba

All single and living in Minnedosa.

Comment

Found them now on Automated Genealogy by looking for the township (no. 41); they've been transcribed there as Clayton.

Comment

Clanwilliam's only 8 miles from Minnedosa - perhaps they were in a hospital there.

Comment

Mary, thankyou so much for your help - now looking very likely that the deaths were for my two twiglets

FTF to the rescue again!

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                  X