Canadian Homestead help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Homestead help needed please

I have found my great uncle George Frederick Brundrett had a homestead in Alberta before 1930. I think it is around the Calgary region but am not sure.
    the details are
    Part NE
    Section 22
    Township 27
    Range 17
    Meridian 4 - which is Alberta region.
    I have looked on the library of Canada website and found this information and it says volume/libor 856 which is Feb-June 1920 for the land being granted which is after he died in WW1.( the form say the late George Frederick Brundrett) His father George Brundrett is also named.So i assume his father sorted out the land grant as he was next of kin.
    the folio no is 120.
    here is the link

I have looked at the Rosebud pages linked to this record but I really cant work out where he had the land as I dont know Canadian geography at all. On enlisting in Calgary in 1915 he said he was a clerk not a farmer.

I have also checked the post 1930 records and the same details seem to suggest that a Joseph Pugh owns the land. he is not a relation.

I have also been on abgensoc.ca which is the alberta genealogy society but cant really work out what to do.

I followed a link to archive.org for Alberta Homestead records but there are loads of microfilms and they do not seem to be in any particular order.

So if any one could please help I would like to know
    1 where the land was/is , what town is is near? and what it is now eg arable, built on ?
    2 do you think that George Brundrett senior sold off the land to Joseph Pugh?
    3 anything else you can think of

I cant really afford to send off for the details so any information would be very gratefully received.
    Thank you very much for reading this .
    Angelina

Can't help directly, but I had something similar in Saskatchewan. The land records there were in the custody of the University.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you for letting me know that. I have a feeling I am a bit stuck here and need someone to 'translate' all the codes for me into a map reference.
      Angelina

Comment

Hi Angelina, I think I can help as I understand the legal land description & can likely find the land from the info you've given me. I'm just on my way out now but will have a look tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

Ok, real quickly as I've got to run:

The fourth meridian is Longtitude 110° (Alberta-Saskatchewan border)
          The fifth meridian is Longtitude 114°
          The sixth meridian is Longtitude 118°

It looks like the Lat & Long coordinates are 51° 19' 32" N 112° 18' 25" W, and it is just east of Drumheller.

Comment

Prairie Chicken - thats absolutely brilliant I am off to google it now - thank you so very much its really kind
            Angelina

Comment

Bless Google! Now there are converters to go from the LSD (legal land description) to Lat & Long. Another site gave the following coordinates: 51.3218, -112.3141 which is just another L & L format. I hope you found the location. That land description means the north-east 1/4 of the 22nd section (a section is a square mile), of township 27 (36 sections in a township) of range 17, West of the 4th meridian. Google Dominion Land Survey for the full explanation on how the LSD works.

It looks like your family was in the Rural Municipality of Special Areas No. 2 Hanna District Office. If you check out the Alberta Municipal Affairs web site you might find some intereisting info, and historically, census data for rural areas would use the same description, e.g. NE qtr., Sec. 22, Twp. 27, Rge. 17, W 4th.

Have fun with this one!

Edited to correct a typo & make the township description clearer.
              Last edited by Prairie Chicken; 08-07-12, 21:22.

Comment

Thank you so much again for sorting that into English for me - i shall try the 'new' co-ordinates you have given me - but basically i think you are right that it is around the Drumheller region. I found their website and its mostly a dinosaur park!!!!!

The Rosebud sheet has the squares marked in numbers - are they the section numbers or township numbers please? even when i have on full screen i cant read what the numbers represent.
                thanks again for helping me.
                Angelina

Comment

I don't know what a Rosebud sheet is so can't help you with that. LSD numbering is often depicted as blocks of numbered squares so it may be a map showing the various sections. The LSD may or may not include the quarter section (NE, NW, SW. or SE) but would always include the section, twp., range & meridian. It might be written as 22-27-17 W 4th.

Drumheller has a world-class archaeological site where they have found some of the best dinosaur fossils in the world. There is a major display facility for the public, and considerable scientific research attached.

When I ran both sets of L & L they came out in farm land east of Drumheller, and near a lake. That is your place. Looking at the record you gave the link for, it appears that all three of your ancestors were granted land in the same section. Is that correct? Is the forth name connected? I have never had to research this stuff. Do you know what the size of the land grant was?

Comment

May I ask if there was any pattern as to how land was allocated, or was it a case of allocating isolated plots of choice and then gradually filling in, until all were taken?
                    I have rellies who went to Ontario, but at different times. The first one got "50" which seems to be a half of rectangle. Later his brother had 2 bits - a "50" next to his brother and then a "100" which was a rectangle underneath the two "50"s, the whole lot looking like a big square.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I don't have an answer to that Janet. I know in my grandfather's case he had some choice in the land in Saskatchewan, but no idea if it was good land, bad, or anything else about it. He did have to live on it for a year before it was granted to him. That was in 1909 & I believe it was 1/4 section. I think the programs varied from province to province, and know there was a program to encourage immigration and land settlement on the Prairies in the first decade or two of the century. I see the name of that program frequently on passenger lists of new immigrants. I'm also fairly sure the land descriptions in Ontario were different than the LSD used on the Prairies. In other words--it differs significantly from province to province, and time to time.

Comment

Prairie Chicken- this is the original link i found in the library of canada

I clicked on mapmap on that page and the next two pages are called rosebud sheets - one in colour and one in black and white. its the black and white one that has the numbers on it that i would like to know what they mean.
                        I havent the faintest idea why my great uncle had a homestead as when he joined the army he said he was a clerk.
                        George junior died in the war, so I assume the land was left to his father and sibling and they had to sort it out - sell it? so they could get probate. the last person on the first link in an earlier post is no relation as far as I know.
                        I havent the faintest idea what size the land was or anything about it - sorry.
                        its amazing what you have to learn for genealogy it takes you in so many directions. thanks for bearing with me.
                        Last edited by angelina; 09-07-12, 10:23.
                        Angelina

Comment

Thanks for your response, Prarie Chicken

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I do not know what those numbers mean. Maybe a mapping expert could explain. Do we have any of those on here? But, at 3 miles to an inch, the numbers are neither sections nor townships.

The term rosebud didn't sound right, so a little time on Google suggests the map applies to the Rural Municipality of Rosebud. There is a photo from the Glenbow Museum showing the
                            Rosebud rural municipality office, RM # 280, at Crossfield, Alberta.
                            Rosebud, Alberta is southwest of Drumheller, so not in the same direction as your land grants. I gather Rosebud is no-longer a municipality. The RMs have changed over the years though and Rosebud, AB is now within Wheatland RM.

I'll keep snooping around to see what else I can learn.

Comment

I am so glad its not just me that doesnt understand the numbers! I have worked out tho that the Rosebud river flows in that map!!!
                              Thank you for helping me.
                              Angelina

Comment

Working...
                              X