I need some help ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help ..

I hope someone can help me , i am trying to find any info on my grt granddad , his name was Benjamin henry frederick crossley , it says he was from Omah tyrone , his birth year was 1864 , he married my nan Alice mary green and they had 4 children , one of which i have found a bit more out about today. i want to know if possible what my grt grandads parents were called and did he have any other brothers or sisters, any help would be greatful .
    Many thanks . Lauren .
    Harcourt, Crossley, Walker, Beard, Green, Lewis, Fletcher, Posnet, Carter, Bligdon , Brown , Vine.

Have you seen the Army Pension Records? - I will have to look at it more closely but it mentions an Alice Mary Green as a wife.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Do you have his marriage cert?

They were married in Dec qtr of 1885 in Shoreditch (from his army records). That should give his fathers name and occupation.

There is also his war pension records on Ancestry and his daughter Doris Walkers marriage as well

I am not sure what you know so it is difficult as this stage.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
        Do you have his marriage cert?

They were married in Dec qtr of 1885 in Shoreditch (from his army records). That should give his fathers name and occupation.

There is also his war pension records on Ancestry and his daughter Doris Walkers marriage as well

I am not sure what you know so it is difficult as this stage.
        Then there's a chance the marriage register is also on Ancestry? - that would be much cheaper than a cert, and would have the original signatures (or marks), not just transcriptions. ... if you can find it ... I haven't. †

Christine

† yes I have - but he's called Henry Frederick Walker CROSSLEY,
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-07-12, 21:43.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The entry from the marriage register is available on Ancestry

It shows that Henry Frederick Walker Crossley (occ. soldier) married Alice Mary Green on 5th Oct 1885 at St. Leonard Shoreditch.
          Frederick's father was Samuel Walter Crossley, occupation carpenter
          Mary's father was John Green, occupation labourer
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you for the replies, i don't know a great deal about him , i know who he married and the names of his children, i found out today about Benjamin's only son Colin, but other than that i don't know Benjamin mother or fathers name, im not very good with checking things as a lot of the time i dont understand how or what i am ment to be doing lol, did it say who his daughter Doris married .
            I am very grateful for all the help.
            Harcourt, Crossley, Walker, Beard, Green, Lewis, Fletcher, Posnet, Carter, Bligdon , Brown , Vine.

Comment

Hello Elaine , did it say if Benjamin had any other brothers or sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by walker,crossley View Post
                Hello Elaine , did it say if Benjamin had any other brothers or sisters.
                No, I was looking at the entry in the marriage register - which would contain the same information as what you would find on a marriage certificate.
                The next thing to do is to check back in the census to see if you can find Henry as a child, with father Samuel Walter Crossley.

It's a bit late for me tonight now, but if no one has found the info for you by the morning then I'll have a look and see what I can find.
                Elaine

Comment

I have just read a bit of paperwork my grandad had , and it says Benjamin Henry Frederick Crossley ( formerly Walker from Ireland ).

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    The entry from the marriage register is available on Ancestry

It shows that Henry Frederick Walker Crossley (occ. soldier) married Alice Mary Green on 5th Oct 1885 at St. Leonard Shoreditch.
                    Frederick's father was Samuel Walter Crossley, occupation carpenter
                    Mary's father was John Green, occupation labourer
                    I think father's name was actually Samuel Walker Crossley
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Ignore my post aking who Doris married , that was my grt nan she married Albert Harcourt , so many names im trying to keep track of i am getting inot a muddle lol .

Comment

I have just read a bit of paperwork my grandad had , and it says Benjamin Henry Frederick Crossley ( formerly Walker from Ireland ).
                        The paper that had his name as Benjamin Henry Frederick Crossley - can you tell us what it is?
                        The marriage to Alice Mary Green, presuming it is the correct marriage, does not mention Benjamin - gives his name as Henry Frederick Walker Crossley.
                        Elaine

Comment

... im not very good with checking things as a lot of the time i dont understand how or what i am ment to be doing lol ...
                          ... so many names im trying to keep track of i am getting inot a muddle lol .
                          It sounds as if you are new to this hobby, so welcome ... but be warned it can be very addictive.
                          It can be difficult when you are just starting out as you don't know what sort of information the different records might contain, which websites might be of help to you and how to store the information that you are collecting.
                          Can I suggest that you take a look at some of our research guides which are in the reference library part of the forum. You can access this via the Reference Library tab on the navigation bar at the top of the page - or just click on "Starting out on your Research" which you should see at the top of this page just above your first post.
                          You must work backwards verifying the information as you find it, which often means getting birth, marriage or death certificates to support your findings. Depending where your ancestors originated you may also need to subscribe to one of the more popular websites, such as Ancestry or Findmypast - but that may not apply to you if your research takes you to Ireland.
                          Elaine

Comment

There are two private trees on the Ancestry website which include Benjamin.
                            One of them has his name as Benjamin Henry Frederick Walker Crossley born 1863 and the other has him recorded as Henry Frederick Walker Crossley born 1863.
                            It may be worth contacting both of the tree submitters to see if they have any further information on the family. You will need to subscribe to Ancestry to do this, but you could sign up for a 14 day free trial initially should you wish, just make sure that you cancel before the end of the 14 days or else you will be charged for a subscription.
                            Elaine

Comment

For anyone trying to help I thought this 1901 census might be a starting point. I assume that hubby is away 'soldiering' somewhere -

and 1911 as Benjamin F Crossley - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

I think Alice may have died in June 1947 aged 86 in Dorchester ref 6a 468 and
                              Benjamin H F Crossley in March 1922 aged 58 in Dorchester ref 5a 451
                              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 07-07-12, 14:25.
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                              X