Wards of Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wards of Court

Talk about skeletons in the cupboard; I have just found out that my mother became a Ward of Court before marrying my father. One assumes this Record is written down somewhere.................does anyone if they can be looked at?
    Both my parents are deceased and as ever too late to ask questions.

Wards of Court will be recorded in Chancery, but I assume it is too recent to be in the public domain. How do you know she was a ward of court - does it say so on their MC? (She would have needed their permission to marry).

OC

Comment

Nothing on the Wedding Cert OC. Mother had to live with her Eldest brother and his wife(she is still living but over 100 yrs old) This lady is the source of my information.

Comment

Being made a Ward of Court almost always involves money - an inheritance, etc, but sometimes it was used as a way of whipping a wayward girl into line (much as we would put a child into care these days) or to stop her marrying some unsuitable fortune hunter etc.

It is curious that your mother doesn't remember WHY she was made a Ward of Court though. Have you tried googling? (Last ditch hope!).

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Being made a Ward of Court almost always involves money - an inheritance, etc, but sometimes it was used as a way of whipping a wayward girl into line (much as we would put a child into care these days) or to stop her marrying some unsuitable fortune hunter etc.

It is curious that your mother doesn't remember WHY she was made a Ward of Court though. Have you tried googling? (Last ditch hope!).

OC
          I think Alan means that it is his mothers brothers wife who is still living at over a hundred OC. First post he says both his parents are deceased.
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Oooh, sorry, misread your initial post. But still, does the brother's wife not remember why your mother was made a Ward of Court? It was an unusual occurence.

OC

Comment

I can confidently guess why she became a Ward, it's where to look for records that's my concern.

Comment

The record will be embedded in the High Court but I don't know if you will be able to access it - I feel (but don't know!) that these records will be private and certainly closed for 100 years.

OC

Comment

If she was made Ward of Court and the brother was involved as guardian surely he/ his wife will still have some papers?
                  Margaret

Comment

It's not that easy Margaret. The brother long since died in Oz. His wife now in a Nursing Home also in Oz having lost her sight.
                    Think I'm at a dead end here particularly if the 100 year bit is in operation and it's not vital that I know the detail since I can guess. Its about marrying out of ones religion and at a very young age.
                    Thanks to all for your input.

Comment

I can't add anything I'm afraid, but it's intriguing that's for sure - hope you can make some progress!

Comment

Might be worth searching the National Archives Catalogue by just entering the surname and using C and J as the refs to search (2 separate searches) although perhaps not all is name indexed so it might not come up anyway. Don't know when this took place but apparently there's little after 1945. If you find something and it's closed you could submit a FOI request to see if you can be given permission to view.
                        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Could there be newspaper accounts around the events that you suspect? Was there assets, especially real estate, that may have been involved in transactions during the time that she was a ward, that would bear the signature of the guardian? School records?

I think your discussion implies that one or both of the parents were alive during the guardianship - was there an event about them that might have made the newspaper?

If you can't retrieve the court record, you might need to think outside the box for evidence of the guardianship.

Comment

Working...
                          X