Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help with WW1 please

Hello

I have found my chaps Medal Index, so I am now working on the codes to see where he actually served and won the medals.
    As he enlisted twice would he have another one of these cards anywhere or is it all combined in to this one? These are under his 'First' Number of 8972.

He then re-enlisted, after being discharged due to injury, and was given another number - 286385

So my main question is how do I find the equivalent set of papers for his first enlistment? Or indeed, how do I find anything else out about his Military life.

many thanks

Debbss

Debbs,
    You should be able to find a MIC for his time in the R G A, but it is quite likely that his original service papers were lost due to fire at the repository after being bombed in 1940,

where approx 75 percent of service papers were destroyed. Would seem that the RGA section was a lucky area as my g/fathers are still intact as well.

There is a list of SWB recipients which will possibly tell you a bit more about where he was wounded, this list is only obtainable thru the NA and is not on line. If it gives a date of when

he was wounded you could obtain a copy of the battalions war diary which should tell you where they were at that time. The reason of course that he was given a new serial number is

after he was discharged from the Scots Guards he joined the R G A, presumably being declared fit again.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

The SWB Medal Roll is online on the Ancestry website but it may well only give you date of enlistment and discharge and reason for discharge - just "wounds" or something like that - no detail.

If his records for his time with the Scots Guards are not online then they SHOULD be with the Regimental HQ (the Guards regiments keep their own records). I believe they charge £35 for a search and providing copies if found. Details are here

Our Archives The Museum does not hold Regimental Archives or individual service records. We are therefore unable to assist with specific research involving such records. We do have an ever expanding collection of photographs and documents, and are happy to assist enquiries. For enquiries a simple search of our catalogue will be made free of
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

As he appears to have served with no 3 depot RGA - who were based in Plymouth (according to the Long Long Trail website) and he was only with them for a relatively short time it is unlikely he served overseas with them - so he would not have been entitled to medals - so not likely to be a MIC

He appears to have received all the medals he was entitled to as a result of his Scots Guards service anyway - so they wouldn't have been awarded twice

Comment

Thank you for these very helpful answers

Debbs

Comment

Hi Debbs,

I think I can give you some more information which may help.

I think your chap was a Regular Soldier due to the SWB date of enlistment 23/5/14 (before the start of the war) and the 2nd Battalion was a Regular Army Battalion. He served overseas 22/9/14 with the BEF and he was one of the 'Old Contemptables' and if we look at his Battalions history we can roughly trace his movements:

Scot Guards
            2nd Battalion
            August 1914 : at Tower of London.
            September 1914 : came under orders of 20th Brigade, 7th Division.
            7 October 1914: landed at Zeebrugge,
            9 August 1915 : transferred to 3rd Guards Brigade, Guards Division.

20th Brigade, 7th Division September 1914-9 August 1915
            The First Battle of Ypres
            The Division fought the advancing German army to a standstill at Wipers. All units suffered grievous losses, and it was not until the following January/February that it was once more in a complete enough condition to be considered at full fighting strength. After First Ypres, it was often known as the "Immortal Seventh.

The Battle of Neuve Chapelle
            The Battle of Aubers
            The Battle of Festubert
            The second action of Givenchy

9 August 1915 : transferred to 3rd Guards Brigade, Guards Division

The Actions of the Bluff and St Eloi Craters
            The Battle of Albert*
            The Battle of Bazentin* in which the Division helped capture Longueval
            The Battle of Delville Wood*
            The Battle of the Ancre*
            The battles marked * are phases of the Battles of the Somme 1916

Your chap was discharged 9/1/17 due to sickness.

Without his first service records we can't say for certain if he was with his Battalion all during the above dates and actions.

I'll take a further look for further information and get back to you soon.

Regards
            Adrian
            Last edited by apowell; 04-07-12, 11:28.

Comment

Oh MY Gooodness!!! Adrian thats wonderful! Wow!

Thank you so very much. I do struggle with this Military History, so this is a massive help for me.

Debbs

Comment

Hi,

The only other information I can find is that he didn't serve overseas with the R.G.A. as mentioned and his medical cat' was BIII (not frontline). The reason given for discharge was Epilepsy (result of service) and if you check the first page of his service records you posted it states the reason why he was discharged from the Scot Guards. It's hard to read but I think it states due to wounds which isn't what it states on his SWB index card but maybe a mistake was made and it should have been listed as wounds. This is evidenced on the second page of his service records when it states he has scars all over his body eg. neck, stomach, scar of bullet wound and left thigh. That doesn't sound like illness to me and given the last engagements of his Battalion I would guess he received these wounds during the Somme Campaign of 1916.

I hope this helps but I can't be sure on all the information given.

Regards
                Adrian

Comment

Is this the same 'Immortal Seventh' that you mention?

Comment

Yes I saw all his wounds, poor chap, and it says 'Epiliepsy due to Service' - sounds like he had a bit of a roughtime :(

Comment

Working...
                    X