Am I right about birth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I right about birth?

I have found a baptism and a death for an infant in April 1841 in the transcripts for Glamorganshire (FMP). In the index on Ancestry they are registered in the July of that year. Am I right in thinking the family probably registered the birth and death some time after the actual events?

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Hi Moira

You say "In the index on Ancestry they are registered in the July of that year". Could you clarify what index you're looking at? If its the GRO BMD indexes for that sort of period, they go in quarters ending March, June, September and December, in which case April events would normally be registered in quarter ending June. As far as I'm aware, they were not separated into months on the registers
    Jackie

Comment

On Ancestry they define the Quarters by the first month, so instead of March June Sept and Dec, they have January, April, July and October. Really threw me at first.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Sorry the baptism and birth are recorded in the parish registers available on FMP. The registered birth and death are in the national birth and death indice on Ancestry in the quarter starting July. So was the child born, baptised, died and buried in April and recorded in the parish register then the parents registered the birth and death at the Register Office later in the year.

Comment

It is unlikely they registered the birth and death so much later, as there was no fine for not registering at all, but there WAS a fine for late registration.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. The more I look the more puzzling it is , complicated by the fact there was an earlier child of the same name who died an infant. When I have more time I'll have another go at sorting it out, which will mean digging out all sorts of bits and pieces of info on the family from various sources. In one way it doesn't matter, the poor little things had such brief lives, but I like things straight and it seems important to recognise them even if only in the correct dates.

Comment

"In one way it doesn't matter, the poor little things had such brief lives, but I like things straight and it seems important to recognise them even if only in the correct dates."

I've just sorted out a very sad case today.
              I'd found a 1853 baptism, but the child wasn't in 1861 census, so I looked for a death and found one in 1855. Probably measles, whooping cough or scarlet fever, I thought.
              Not so. The newspaper archives produced an article about an inquest into her death. She was playing in the street with some other children when a horse pulling a heavy load gained additional speed. The driver shouted at the children to run to the side of the road (which the older children did) but my little miss just stood there, was knocked down, run over and killed.
              She was 2 years old, described as "child of a labourer" and the driver was the local gentry. A verdict of accidental death.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

janet, that's horrible. can't imagine the grief the family owuld have gone through.

Comment

Working...
                X